Search for content in message boards

WW2 Darwin?

Replies: 4

Re: WW2 Darwin?

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 3:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Don,
My father was in the AIF during WW2 and was stationed in Darwin when it was bombed in 1942. I've seen pictures of Darwin during the war and my recognise if your pictures look like Darwin. (defect(at)lizzy.com.au) replace (at) with @
I remember dad saying that some of the troops were based at Howard Springs and further down at Adelaide River among other bases. I know that there was a lot of animosity between the Australian and American troops. The Americans were treated better by not only their own military chiefs but also the Australian military chiefs. The Americans were given the better bases closer to facilities and provided with better food and equipment. My dad often talked about the Aussie raids on American bases, including at one time bringing back a refrigerator full of food from a US base. The Australian’s basic diet was bully-beef. There was a general consensus that the Americans thought that they were responsible for any and all victories. Any Australian victories were reported back to the US as American and Allied victories, even when the Americans had nothing to do with the victory. That attitude was particularly resented by the fact that America didn’t enter the war until after the bombing of Pearl Harbour in December 1941. The Aussies had been in it from the start, fighting the war in Europe, hence the shortage of Aussie troops in Australia when the Pascific war began. The Americans that were in the war before December 1941 had gone to the UK to enlist in their military forces.
Brisbane in Queensland was another place that had many US troops. My dad often talked about 'The Battle of Brisbane' which was two nights of rioting between United States military personnel on one side and Australian servicemen and civilians on the other side, in Brisbane on 26–27 November, 1942. My dad was on the end of a fire hose trying to seperate the 2 sides. You can read about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brisbane
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
papadon04 14 Jan 2013 9:42PM GMT 
essexclark 15 Jan 2013 10:15PM GMT 
papadon04 16 Jan 2013 9:37PM GMT 
papadon04 27 Jan 2013 6:13AM GMT 
essexclark 27 Jan 2013 6:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions