Search for content in message boards

WW2 Darwin?

Replies: 4

WW2 Darwin?

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 2:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was looking at some of my father's old photos taken while he was in Australia 1943-1944. He was part of the US 380th Bomb Group that arrived in Darwin in May 1943 and later moved on to New Guinea and the Philippines. Most of them were pictures of the jungle bases and bombers he serviced, but some pics were taken while on leave.

There was no mention of location or notes of any kind on the back of any of the pictures. Perhaps he didn't think to do it - or maybe military censors encouraged him not to do so since they were to be mailed back home to his parents.

The leave photos shows him in a park or memorial site close to some large body of water (large pond, lake, etc.) that had a walk bridge several feet up over the water. Another shows him standing next to a large (4' tall x 8' long) memorial marker inscribed "their name liveth for evermore".

I think he did spend some time in Sydney, but I'm wondering if these pictures were taken in Darwin?

any help will be much appreciated - thanks, Don
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
papadon04 14 Jan 2013 9:42PM GMT 
essexclark 15 Jan 2013 10:15PM GMT 
papadon04 16 Jan 2013 9:37PM GMT 
papadon04 27 Jan 2013 6:13AM GMT 
essexclark 27 Jan 2013 6:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions