Search for content in message boards

E.M Beresford (Emerson Beresford)

Replies: 7

Re: E.M Beresford (Emerson Beresford)

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 2:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Beresford and Owen
This posting has strong connections with my history which is veiled in mystery. My name is Bruce Beresford Owen, son of John Beresford Owen born in Wellington on 17th July 1920. His birth mother was a young woman from Melbourne who came over to have him and complete an adoption arrangement into the Owen family here. When my father (now deceased)found out he was adopted (he was about 18) we was furious and cut himself off from the family. All details he kept to himself, but the adoption deal included the name Beresford being incorporated into his, hence John Beresford Owen. He became a notable English historian at Oxford as a Google of his name will show.
I know nothing of his birth mother, and the Registrar here will now give me details of the original certificate of his birth for about another 5 years. All I know is that either his mother, whose first name was Dorothy, or his father, was a Beresford and my father was always convinced that it was his fathers surname. Now comes the other significant part of my situation. His adoptive family often talked about a travelling theatre company and I remember a photo of my adoptive grandfather, Robert Owen, in drag. Its a pity that the birth date of the child EM Beresford was not 17th July 1920, but the coincidence of another Beresford either siring or having a child in NZ and a theatre company part of the story raises goose pimples with me. I know I am descended from the Melbourne Beresfords, and some years ago I wrote to everyone listed in the Melbourne phone listings, but with no success.I am aware there was a Dorothy Beresford in the area born I think in 1910, but she would have been too young to have been my grandmother. So I remain in limbo knowing I am connected with Melbourne Beresfords, but to whom??? Perhaps someone out there might recognise the story
Bruce Beresford Owen
Te Awamutu, NZ
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Michelle Kara... 27 Jul 2013 10:01AM GMT 
RhondaEmbee 27 Jul 2013 1:59PM GMT 
dj72green 27 Jul 2013 3:14PM GMT 
divbooks 27 Jul 2013 11:17PM GMT 
divbooks 28 Jul 2013 12:06AM GMT 
dj72green 28 Jul 2013 3:44AM GMT 
Michelle Kara... 28 Jul 2013 4:42AM GMT 
bruceowen88 26 Aug 2013 8:23AM GMT 
per page