Search for content in message boards

Brickwall - I need ideas on where to look next.

Replies: 10

Brickwall - I need ideas on where to look next.

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 7:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Godfrey, Donovan, Healy
I have hit a major brickwall in tracing my 2nd Great Grandfather and i am looking for ideas on where to look next.
This is what i have.
John Godfrey, born about 1841 in or around Newport, County Tipperary, Ireland. He immigrated to Australia in 1866, aboard "Peerless", sponsored by his brother Daniel Godfrey (who arrived in 1863). From the immigration records i have ascertained that his parents are Daniel Godfrey & Mary Healy (from Daniel's death certificate 1907.)
In 1867 John married Bridget Mary Donovan in Piper Street, Woollahra, under the rites of the Roman Catholic Church (however i have yet to ascertain if they were even married in a church). Their marriage certificate gives very little information on either of their backgrounds. (No ages, places of birth or parents names.) The witnesses are listed as Daniel Godfrey (John's brother) and Mary Donovan (Bridget's sister who later married a John McCarthy)
Bridget and John went on to have eight children, two of whom died as infants.
I have searched the Sydney Sands Directories and NSW Census and Electoral Rolls and also the City of Sydney - Assesment Books. And can track John up until about 1905 this way as living in and around the area of Surrey Hills. But after that he just disappears.
I also tracked the family through Death Notices and Funeral Notices on TROVE. I have found mentions of many of the family members and their brothers and sisters upon their death but nothing of John. The last mention of John is in 1913 when Bridget's sister Ellen died.
I have been unable to find a death for John. I have searched death registrations, as well as Burial Registers for Rookwood, and Waverley Cemetery's where many of the family were buried.
I'd really like some ideas on where to look next, as I have just about exhausted all my avenues.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
And thankyou in advance.
Nicole
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Nicole Riley 17 Aug 2013 1:09AM GMT 
jun69 17 Aug 2013 4:56AM GMT 
Nicole Riley 17 Aug 2013 5:54AM GMT 
whimee1 17 Aug 2013 6:45AM GMT 
Nicole Riley 20 Aug 2013 10:30PM GMT 
fryerning 19 Aug 2013 8:39AM GMT 
Sad_Mushroom 20 Aug 2013 12:21AM GMT 
dj72green 20 Aug 2013 1:03AM GMT 
deeess 20 Aug 2013 1:40AM GMT 
Nicole Riley 20 Aug 2013 10:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions