Search for content in message boards

Family research on Surnames CONHEADY and TOUHY from County Clare, Ireland

Replies: 4

Family research on Surnames CONHEADY and TOUHY from County Clare, Ireland

Rosslyn Hamilton from Vic, Australia (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2000 2:09AM GMT
I am seeking information on my G.Grandmother MARY CONHEADY who was born in County Clare in the Tulla District, Ireland. Her approximent DOB would be 1842/43, based on the date given on her Marriage Certificate when married to Thomas Gardiner Findlay in Chiltern, Victoria, Australia in 1878.
Her parent's names as given on her Marriage Certificate are FATHER: James Conheady, MOTHER: Ellen Touhy. Mary died in Chiltern in 1902 at the age of 60 years.
She had one known brother who joined her in Chiltern in the 1880's from Ireland: Jeremiah Conheady also from the Tulla District in Ireland, Jeremiah was at least 20 years younger than Mary his sister. Jeremiah settled in Christmas Town near Chiltern and married and had one son, who died in an accident in his early 20's.
Mary immigrated to Australia by means unknown at present. It is possible that she worked in Service at a Hotel in Bendigo, Victoria in the Goldfield district and it is there she met Thomas Findlay a Drover passing through Bendigo. They moved around to various parts of Victoria, Wagga Wagga, Yackandandah, eventually settling in Chiltern in about 1869. They had 8 children, their 3rd child Ellen Maria Findlay DOB:1869, Chiltern, Victoria, married Hermann Plate in 1891 in Chiltern, they had 2 sons, Bernard Thomas,and Joseph Martin Plate. They stayed in Chiltern until 1909/10 when they moved to New South Wales, first to Sydney where Hermann worked as a Publican, then went back to Victoria to live and remained in Port Melbourne. Their son Bernard married Valmai Prew from Port Melbourne in 1927; They had one son, Allan Bernard Plate in 1928. Allan Plate( my Father) married Violet Mavis Pretty ( My Mother)from Port Melbourne in 1951; They had 5 children of which I am their 3rd child, Rosslyn.
I am seeking information on the Conheady's of County Clare Ireland as I believe that the surname CONHEADY is found only in this County and therefore it is probable that Conheady's from this County are all related. If you have any information on Mary Conheady especially her life in Ireland or her parents please contact me at above email; Likewise if you have any information on any of the Surnames listed in my Family Tree please also contact me at my email address...Thankyou...Rosslyn Hamilton(nee Plate)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Rosslyn Hamilton from Vic, Australia 1 May 2000 8:09AM GMT 
MaryanneFlate... 2 May 2009 5:39AM GMT 
christinemill... 4 May 2009 4:00AM GMT 
Rosemary_Garn... 18 Sep 2013 12:46AM GMT 
Sad_Mushroom 19 Sep 2013 1:50AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic