The 1862 Sailing Ship "City of Brisbane"

Replies: 14

The 1862 Sailing Ship "City of Brisbane"

Posted: 22 Jan 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Oct 2005 6:28AM GMT
Surnames: Cusack
Hello Researchers

I am a Descendant of Patrick and Mary Cusack who came to the Shores of Moreton Bay Brisbane Australia in 1862 aboard the Sailing Ship the "City of Brisbane" I am interested in tracking down as many of the descendants from the City as possible.

Does any listers and researchers descend from these passengers? If so I would like to hear from them? I would ask that this e-mail be passed on to other lists you may be subscribed to anywhere in the world.

Because I have a Dream and or an Idea:

To seek out (Muster Up) all the descendants from Passengers of the City Of Brisbane who came to the Shores of Moreton Bay in 1862. It could be held on the 140th anniversary of their arrival. I am sure some interest could be generated in such a proposal?

The 140th anniversary of the arrival in Moreton Bay will be a Monday June 24th 2002 but the arrival in Brisbane Town (I don't you know the location that the lighter "Sampson" actual set down the passengers) will be a Tuesday July 2nd 2002. So if any celebrations were to be had, I would suggest the weekend of the 29th & 30th of June.

To have a celebration of the arrival of the "City of Brisbane" and passengers we would need a goal. I would suggest that goal be, the erection of a Plaque on the spot of the passengers disembarrassment on the shore of the Brisbane River. The plaque would contain a complete list of name of passengers and crew.

Monies could be raised through Subscriptions, Donations, or maybe a government grant, or what ever (minor point at this stage) from descendants?

First things first, I would propose a Committee of interested people who are descended from the passengers be set up? The Committee be called 1862, "Passengers of the City of Brisbane" Muster Committee acronym "PoCoB"
The second thing is to establish a Web Site (I can do this as I can build simple Web Pages see the web sites I have built the addresses are below).

These Web Pages could have the City's full passenger list, The Etching of the "City" in full sail, a brief outline of the trip and arrival of the City, a brief outline of the proposed "Muster" and last but not least a "message forum" where we ask descendants to sign on board for the second coming of the City.

I propose that the committee has power to add more members as it sees fit to carry the load as it rolls along. I would also guess that if the Brisbane City Council was approach they may be interested? After all it did take its name from our ancestors Sailing Ship?

Another fact I believe is, the Brisbane City Council held it's first election 63 years to the day, for councillors on 21st of February (the same day and month the City left Gravesend) 1925.

This time frame give the Committee 2 years to plan it and bring it to reality. If it is going to be done I guess it is up to me to get the ball rolling? That is my brief outline of the proposal, what does anyone think? I am all ears.

Oh one more thing, a book could be written (anyone looking for a thesis topic) containing info on all or at least some of the descendants are track down as I am sure they will also have story to tell.

Pie in the Sky? Maybe, but with some help it could be a reality. I am interested at hearing any feedback from anyone who can assist or give advice.
Kind Regards

Mark McCabe

The Clan from County Monaghan
http://www.fan.net.au/~mccabe/index.html

Australian Energy Efficient Housing
http://www.bcity.com/markmccabebuild/

Beaudesert Rotary Club
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Forest/8287/index.html

St Mary's School Centenary
http://members.xoom.com/stmaryscent

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mark McCabe 22 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
elizabethconw... 28 Feb 2009 6:38AM GMT 
Mark McCabe 28 Feb 2009 7:43AM GMT 
lynp59 12 Mar 2009 1:16PM GMT 
jamsprinhaven... 10 May 2009 1:34PM GMT 
gsmithpros 12 Oct 2010 7:56PM GMT 
KevHoughton 15 Jan 2013 12:07AM GMT 
Mark McCabe 15 Jan 2013 3:12AM GMT 
KevHoughton 15 Jan 2013 4:11AM GMT 
plgarfoot 23 Feb 2013 2:57AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions