Search for content in message boards

Geraldine Roy, possibly of Barambah/Cherbourg

Replies: 2

Geraldine Roy, possibly of Barambah/Cherbourg

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 6:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Roy, Brown
Hi,

While watching an episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" on the family of Cathy Freeman, I noted that her father's mother was Geraldine Roy (Norman's [Cathy's father] biological father was Frank "BigShot" Fisher, of Barambah/Cherbourg). Which I am sure you know :)

I have a couple of questions regarding Geraldine Roy and am hoping that someone can assist with my inquiries :)

Firstly, assuming that it can be confirmed that she was a resident at Cherbourg, is it possible to find out where she was from, or, if she was born there, where her parents were from.

I ask this as there is a 'family story' that my grandmother (Fanny Warren Mitchell), who lived in Murgon and visited people at Cherbourg, was visiting a 'cousin' of hers who was resident there. The story went that some of (or 1 of) my grandmothers cousins,by the name of 'Brown' were among those sent to Cherbourg. Most of us, however, have discounted this as, although Grandma had cousins by the name of Brown, none of them that we are aware of were sent to Cherbourg. The cousins 'Brown' lived in and around Bendigo, and were what would have been considered to be 'quarter-casts'. Not that that made a lot of difference I am sure :)

However, my Grandmother's mother was a 'Roy', also from around Bendigo. As far as we know at this time, none of our Roy family were sent to Cherbourg either, but of course we cannot confirm this.

If there is any information available on this Geraldine Roy and her family I would appreciate it if it could be shared with me.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
chrislb94 29 Jan 2013 1:49PM GMT 
corahlf 29 Jan 2013 9:05PM GMT 
chrislb94 29 Jan 2013 9:06PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic