Search for content in message boards

McLeod McKinnon in Clare, Bundaleer, Hill Station

Replies: 1

McLeod McKinnon in Clare, Bundaleer, Hill Station

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 5:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Feb 2013 5:17AM GMT
Surnames: McLeod, McKinnon, Atkins
Hi I am looking for information on Hannah (or Ann)and Daniel McLeod who migrated to SA in 1840 on the Eliza. The immigration application says they came from Charleville, she was 16 and he was 18. An entry for Daniel in the SA biographical Index says he was Presbyterian so it is unlikely they were living in Catholic Ireland, however this entry doesn't fit all his details especially is age. I cannot find a baptism for a brother and sister in the Scottish records.

Hannah married Edward Atkins in Jan 1843 and had 7 children with him, in the Clare area, mostly Bundaleer. We have never found a death record for her but Edward remarried in Jan 1857 so presumably she died before then.

Hannah and Edward's daughter Jane Atkins married John McKinnon, whose parents were Donald McKinnon and Mary McLeod. They arrived in 1840 on the Tomatin. We are trying to work out if there is any relationship between Hannah and Mary McLeod as they were about the same age, migrated at about the same time and the ended up in the Clare area.

I would love to hear from anyone who has more information on the Mcleod and McKinnon families that settled in this area in the 1840's.
Thanks

Kylie

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sunsetsgrand 26 Feb 2013 12:13PM GMT 
traceystent 17 Apr 2013 2:49AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic