Search for content in message boards

Captian William WOOD

Replies: 25

Re: Captian William WOOD

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 11:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wood
Hi Gary
Thanks for contacting me about the letter. I have other copies of his letters but would need to see a scan to authenticate the handwriting before progressing further. You should contact the Launceston Museum who hold the family portraits of him and his wife and others donated by my family. I would think they may well be interested in the original letter if they judge it of sufficient historical importance. To be honest I am rather more concerned to see such material well conserved and preserved than acquiring it myself so I strongly invite you to contact them but then let me know if they are not interested I am more than happy to compare the handwriting and writing style with what we know is his, if you wish to avail yourself of that free opinion. There were a number of William Wood's in Tasmania though I suspect the letter you have is most likely by Captain Wood. I was recently annoyed that his military medals went to auction for a second time in 4 years without me being aware of the auctions. Those should also have ended up in the Museum. As you would appreciate, every family is part of the maze of history to a greater or lesser degree. This particular family and it's relatives contributed much on a small scale. The Captains wife Marie had two nephews in America. One designed the State Seal for California and was the first Confederate General killed in the Civil War, the other was responsible for placing the US and thus the rest of the world on the Gold Standard. Her grand mother was Olympe de Gouges and a heroine of France. The details of the maze have unexpected connections and as such the letter is important historically as one small part of a larger story. Thank you once again for contacting me. You can contact me at agroom at dragnet dot com dot au (suitably adjusted).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
arggroom 27 Mar 2012 7:52PM GMT 
François_Fran... 30 Mar 2012 10:35AM GMT 
arggroom 31 Mar 2012 10:56PM GMT 
gulfmann 25 Jan 2013 5:33AM GMT 
arggroom 25 Jan 2013 6:40AM GMT 
socratesdanci... 14 Dec 2012 1:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions