Search for content in message boards

James Hall 1856 - 1948

Replies: 4

James Hall 1856 - 1948

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 7:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2012 3:21AM GMT
Surnames: Hall, Hole,Harwood,Barclay,Johnson,Johnston
Hi all. Am in need of some advice please. I have been tracing my gg grandfather James Hall. My uncle told me that when he was young he was told that James' surname wasn't actually Hall but something like Hole. Apparently Pop had an accent and there was a mistake recording the surname. I did find that when James married Esther Harwood and had kids, the kids were registered with the surname of Hole. I found this info in the parish records at the state library. While searching for a birth for James I only found two possibles. One was James Hall, parents James Hall & Catherine Barclay. They were from Fingal and I all but ruled them out. Pop James was from Richmond, Campania way. The other birth I found was a Hole - name not recorded - male. Born 9 Feb 1856 Richmond. I was told that James & Esther had the same birthday. Esther was born 8 Feb 1856. Male Hole's parents are listed as John Hole & Mary Johnson, both convicts. Mary Johnson was Scottish. Perhaps pop inherited his mum's accent and this is where the surname misunderstanding came from. A few of the trees I have searched on ancestry.com have James' parents listed as James Hall & Catherine Barclay but I am not convinced they are his parents. With the stories I have been told and the info I have found I am (fairly) certain that John Hole & Mary Johnston are James' parents. Is this enough for me to claim John Hole & Mary Johnston??? This is just about driving me nuts, so I would appreciate any advice!!!! I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help. Thank you, Linda
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
crusty04 31 Oct 2012 1:24AM GMT 
Sonda Dumesny 6 Nov 2012 4:10AM GMT 
mollipops1 6 Nov 2012 9:58AM GMT 
tasgenweb 6 Nov 2012 9:16PM GMT 
crusty04 7 Nov 2012 1:54AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions