Search for content in message boards

OLD HIBBARB CEMETERY ON THE HASTINGS RIVER PORT MACQUARIE

Replies: 7

OLD HIBBARB CEMETERY ON THE HASTINGS RIVER PORT MACQUARIE

Posted: 17 Feb 2008 10:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davies -- Davis
We are going to Port Macquarie on Saturday we have been going there for 15 years and stay at Edgewater Caravan Park Which is at Hibbard on the Hastings River. There is the remnants of an old convict cemetery on the edge of the park grounds it has about 4 visible head stones scattered on the ground. Every year I take a walk to see the graves the locals tell me that Hibbard was a convict settlement for the purpose of cutting timber. The inscriptions are very hard to read as the sandstone has erroded away. There is one headstone that I can just make out the year 182.??? if I read between the missing letters It looks like R or K Davies. I'm very interested in finding out who these old souls are. I know that we have Davies ancestors in Port Macquarie. We have just inherited a Jewish bible (Siddur) it's origin is Polish with a hand written history dating back to the 1600's. We are not Jewish but it seems the Davies married Jewish women at some point and the Davies family features prominently from the early 1800's. This bible has been handed down to the first born son of a Davies and now my son will inherit it at some point and so will his new baby son and we will continue the tradition by adding our history to it. This bible is currently in Port Macquarie and has been deciphered by a Rabbi who says this bible is one of the very first to come to Australia and is a very rare edition in excellent order. The hand written history has filled in a lot of gaps for the early Jewish Society in Australia and Tasmania. I will be bringing it back on return from our holidays. It may be able to help others on the trail of the Davies mob who roamed far and wide all over the world. They were quite the adventurers David Davies b.1836 his son became a bushranger and changed his name from Davies to Edward Davis he was known as the JewBoy Gang and eventually he was hung. I see that I've got carried away my original question was how to find out about the grave sites and if I can claim Mr Davies as my descendant.
I would be very happy to share my extensive family history with anyone interested.
Regard Ann Davies
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AnnDavies2 18 Feb 2008 5:51AM GMT 
AnnDavies2 17 Mar 2008 2:53PM GMT 
karoy24 26 Jun 2008 8:03AM GMT 
AnnDavies2 28 Jun 2008 12:57PM GMT 
m_f_brock 24 Jul 2008 1:37PM GMT 
JAMCK12 12 Oct 2008 11:39AM GMT 
m_f_brock 13 Oct 2008 5:19AM GMT 
JenniferWillm... 17 Sep 2011 4:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions