Search for content in message boards

FOUND: Family photographs left in a house in Morwell

Replies: 16

FOUND: Family photographs left in a house in Morwell

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 2:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
In the 1980s my father was working in and around Morwell and found a collection of someone's cherished family photographs hidden in the back of a wardrobe which had been left in an empty house. It seems to have been a case of somebody putting them somewhere where they would have been "kept safe" and then forgetting that they were there.

These photographs, which my family has kept all this time although we have no idea who the people are, recently resurfaced, and there is nothing I would like more than to return them to their family.

The black-and-white photographs (and a collection of old photographic negatives) span several decades and contain a large number of people. The earliest photograph is of a slightly elderly woman and appears to be from the late 19th century, judging by her clothes.

The negatives include a number of pictures of people in the country, perhaps living at a country house. Some pictures show people dressed in what appears to be 1920s clothes, in some they appear to be playing tennis, and so the family appear to have been rather well off. Some photos show children playing with lambs. In the hills in the background of some pictures there can be seen trees which look a little scorched. There may have been a bushfire around that time. Some of the negatives show wedding parties, at two different churches. One church is called St. Andrew's presbyterian.

Some of the printed photographs were done at photographic studios in Melbourne, and some were printed as postcards. The range of the photographs may go up to the 1950s, and show different groups of people. One photograph is a group shot of six young women. There is one large print of two little girls sitting together.

I have tried Googling what little information I can glean from these pictures, but there is not nearly enough to make an identification. As I said, I would like nothing more than to return these pictures to their family, so if you think that you, or a relative of yours, may have accidentally forgotten them in the back of a wardrobe in Morwell, please send me a message.

(I may scan a couple of the images in case anyone recognises faces. If you are interested then watch this space, I will update this thread when the images are up).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ladyofthechic... 31 Mar 2011 8:19AM GMT 
annepittard 31 Mar 2011 9:18AM GMT 
mbmagilton 2 Apr 2011 11:21AM GMT 
Julleigh 2 Apr 2011 3:19PM GMT 
Wombat_47 2 Apr 2011 9:09PM GMT 
deeess 3 Apr 2011 4:17AM GMT 
ladyofthechic... 13 Apr 2011 8:49AM GMT 
ladyofthechic... 13 Apr 2011 8:51AM GMT 
pomkathy 15 Aug 2011 8:01AM GMT 
DeborahSTagge... 15 Aug 2011 9:30AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions