Search for content in message boards

Gladys and Lesley john Davis and 12? children from Melbourne

Replies: 7

Re: Gladys and Lesley john Davis and 12? children from Melbourne

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 5:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Kay
Further to my message of 14 Jan. When I first looked at your family tree I only looked at the most recent stuff about your immediate family which is where I am hoping to learn something from you. However I now realise, going back a couple of centuries we are not quite on the same wave length. I gather your source was Simon Pinkney but I think in this instance, he may have got things a bit wrong - I would say that wouldn't I?
First of all, your tree refers to Joseph Buck Smoothy born in Birdbrook in 1755. I have a copy of the Birdbrook Parish Register but cannot find a record of Joseph Buck's baptism. That does not of course prove he was not born there. Unfortunately I cannot find any record of a Joseph Buck Smoothy. He is obviously the same man as I call Buck Smoothy. I have not found a record of his baptism either. I have however found when Buck was married to Mary Wright at Hadstock, Essex on 8 January 1787. There were no marriages at Birdbrook Parish Church in 1787. There was a Smoothy marriage at Birdbrook on 15 January 1782 when a Joseph Smoothy married Mary Smith. I don't know anything about that line but I will have a look in case there are any connections with our research.
Simon Pinkney also says the children of "Joseph" Buck Smoothy and Mary Wright were all born in Birdbrook. None of them were baptised until 1816 when they were all "done" at Linton Congregational Church (also called the Independent Chapel and now the United Reform Church). The baptismal entries in the parish register gives their dates of birth but not the place of birth. For that I have relied on the 1851 Census. The information is not there for all of them but in most instances it says Hadstock. None of the entries says Birdbrook. I think it is fairly safe to assume they were all born in Hadstock.
Going back a bit now I note that you have Joseph Smoothy (born 1731) and Elizabeth as the parents of Joseph Buck Smoothy. I think they were the parents of the Joseph Smoothy who married Mary Smith at Birdbrook in 1782.
Coming forward a little, your Smoothy ancestor who emigrated to Queensland was, as you know, Alfred Smoothy, son of John Smoothy and Ann Hymas. You will also know that Alfred's brother Henry also went to Queensland. They had another brother, John, who married Maria Louisa Walker and spent most of his adult life living in Southwark, Surrey (now part of London). John and Louisa had two sons who also emigrated to Queensland, John Thomas and Alexander James. You may know about them but if not I can provide more information.
Given that I have questioned some of the info on your tree you would perhaps like much more information than I have provided in this message on my source. If that is the case please let me know. Not all this stuff is stored on line so you will need to use my e-mail address.
Regards
Peter
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kksmoothy 21 Apr 2012 3:01AM GMT 
deeess 21 Apr 2012 6:41AM GMT 
KerriYoung33 21 Apr 2012 6:56AM GMT 
peterbran 17 Dec 2012 4:52PM GMT 
kksmoothy 17 Dec 2012 8:13PM GMT 
peterbran 14 Jan 2013 12:36PM GMT 
peterbran 19 Jan 2013 12:49PM GMT 
kuillie 5 Jul 2013 5:50AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions