Search for content in message boards

Page Doble, b. 1830, Buckland St. Mary, Somerset; d. 1870 Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Replies: 2

Re: Page Doble, b. 1830, Buckland St. Mary, Somerset; d. 1870 Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Posted: 1 Aug 2013 9:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Doble
Thank you for the reply regarding Page Doble's father's name being John. Actually, the name "John" for his father must have been given at the time of Page Doble's 1870 death, on his death registration. The name of Page Doble's (b. 1830, Somerset, immigrating to Australia) father was actually William Doble; mother: Elizabeth Sparks/Sparkes, daughter of James Sparks/Sparkes, b. 1765/1766, Somerset, England. I suspect whomever gave the death registration information thought Page's father's name was "John." (Many people today cannot give the correct first name of their own paternal grandfather.)

I have been in email contact with others related to Page Doble (b. 1830, Somerset; d. 1870, Drysdale, Geelong, Victoria, Australia) who know the death registration name for Page's father is incorrect and that it was William.

I believe those who accepted the name "John" for his father, including it in a publicly viewable family tree, just didn't do much other research in that family line. :-)

Fortunately, the name "Page Doble" is not/was not very common. It does seem to have become a favorite family given name for a boy, as I have male Page relatives (3 different generations) in another family line of mine from Devon, immigrating to Wisconsin in the USA.

I just posted the death/burial information on Page Doble, d. 1870, Drysdale, Geelong, Victoria, Australia because it took a while for me to find it and verify his death/burial information. Apparently there was a list of immigrants to Geelong that was compiled in 1900, listing Page Doble (the one who passed away in 1870.) I think those who found that information in that "document," or a transcription, believed the after-the-fact list meant he was alive in 1900, even though their family trees listed him as dying in 1870. How can any thinking person note someone died in 1870 and in the next line of information on that person note he was living in 1900? :-)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jdelauche 31 Jul 2013 5:34PM GMT 
warncoort1 1 Aug 2013 9:39AM GMT 
jdelauche 1 Aug 2013 3:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic