Search for content in message boards

WHELCH, Wellington > Auckland

Replies: 13

Re: WHELCH, Wellington > Auckland

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 4:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been reading the messages about Elizabeth Delahay Price and Henry Hodges Whelch with interest. Elizabeth was born to Thomas Price & Elizabeth surname unknown. As well as Elizabeth who appears to be the firstborn there are in total 15 children born to Thomas Price & his wife Elizabeth. One of them is my ancestor Hannah Price born in 1813. Hannah married Alexander Weir and their children's names reflect the names of Thomas & Elizabeth's children so I am thinking thats a good indication of the correct line. I have not managed to look at the film of the parish register of baptisms as yet, but I have checked out Hannah's baptism. I figure that Thomas & Elizabeth must have married in about 1793, but have not found a match on family search. Their last born child was Jabez Price who married Celia Wren and in the 1851 census there is an Elizabeth Price aged 78 living with them she is recorded as the Grandmother born in Lewes Sussex. I am not sure if this is Jabez grandmother or Celia's but as the census records the relationship to the head of the household I guess she is Jabez's relative and more probably his mother. I have tried searching for anything that would tie in the name Delahay without success. I imagine that it would be named from Thomas's wife Elizabeth or her mother. It also sounds like it could be french.

Elizabeth Delahay Whelch nee Price widow married George Hempleman in New Zealand in 1842. The marriage record is from the parish register and gives no clue as to her parents, children or previous marriage. Her Death Certificate in 1868 has no record of her children, parents, or previous husband, only her husband at the time, George Hempleman.

George Hempleman was prussian born and captained a whaling ship from Sydney Australia to New Zealand, He "purchased" land from the Maori and was recorded as the first white settler of Piraki Bay. There is a bit of information about him on the website Papers Past.

Janet Davis
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Christopher W... 6 Oct 2003 10:27AM GMT 
pwhelch 25 Oct 2007 11:49AM GMT 
pwhelch 25 Oct 2007 11:49AM GMT 
kelliesinbox 6 Sep 2011 9:55AM GMT 
Christopher W... 8 Sep 2011 9:15AM GMT 
kelliesinbox 8 Sep 2011 7:26PM GMT 
Christopher W... 8 Sep 2011 9:42PM GMT 
kelliesinbox 10 Sep 2011 12:24AM GMT 
Christopher W... 12 Sep 2011 3:10AM GMT 
Janet Davis 16 Jan 2013 11:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions