Searching for Descendants of WILLIAM HICKS & MATALENA VAIOLI. Particularly interested in connecting with family members of the Vaioli clan. According to records, Matalena was from Amaluia in American Samoa.
William Hicks was born in 1850 in Fiji and was the son of Englishman JOHN HICKS (Oil Trader) and a Fijian Maiden named TINAI.
His 3 Siblings were also born in Fiji :
1) Eliza (B. 1848)
2) Joseph (B. 1856)
3) Second Brother we have yet to find details on.
His timeline is mentioned in various places in the South Pacific and stretches from :
* 1874 - Second Mate on board the LEONORA in Kosrae, Gilbert Islands.
* 1876 - Birth of his son John Hicks in Gilbert Islands.
* 1878 to 1884 - Trader for Godeffory on Matupit - New Britain.
* 1885 - Birth of his daughter Maria Hicks in Tutuila, American Samoa.
* 1889 - Birth of his son William Joseph Hicks Jnr in Tutuila, American Samoa.
* 1890 - Birth of his son Thomas John Hicks in Tutuila, American Samoa.
He is rumored to have died on August 29, 1899 and buried in the village of Faleula, Western Samoa beside his last spouse SERA (mother of KALALA who married JOSEPH SILVA).
* His oldest son JOHN HICKS heads the Hicks branch in Tuanai.
* His daughter MARIA HICKS is said to have perished during the 1918 FLU PANDEMIC.
* His son WILLIAM JOSEPH HICKS Jnr (who married JOESEPHINE GODINET) is buried beside the family home in Togafu'afu'a, where some of his descendants now live.
* His son THOMAS JOHN HICKS left Samoa as a young sailor and married/settled in Fiji after marrying MARY BUCKNELL.
We have a page on Facebook so please feel free to connect in here or there if you have information to share.
VINAKA and FA'AFETAI LAVA!
PICS ATTACHED ARE AS FOLLOWS :
1. Thomas John Hicks & Wife Mary Bucknell.
2. Tuanai Village sign.
3. Eliza Hicks https://www.facebook.com/HicksClan.SouthPacific