Search for content in message boards

Re: TUITELE

Replies: 20

Re: Tuitele Family of Leone, Tutuila, American Samoa

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 12:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tuitele Family

Hi Clara,
Hope all is well with you and your family. I have been working on my father's family tree JOHN TAOFI TOOMATA since 2002. Unfortunately, I neglected to check the message board and being awfully busy with grand children.
My name is Faalaniga Taofi Toomata Smith, I lived in Los Angeles, California. I am the daughter of John Taofi Toomata, from the family of Iava Toomata in Leone, American Samoa. My dad passed on November 26, 2002. His parents was Taofi Tuitele of Leone, American Samoa and Sione Palelei of Vailoa Aleipata, Western Samoa. Taofi Tuitele's parents was Penitila Tuitele II and Siupolu Faiivae. Penitila Tuitele II was the oldest son of Penitila Tuitele I and Siupolu was the daughter of Sooto Tuitagivale Faiivae of Leone Village in American Samoa. My father was an only child of Taofi Tuitele and Sione Palelei.Prior my father's succumed to lung cancer, he wrote about each of his uncles: Pulou, Salatielu, Malapua, and Uaine. My father is the grandson of Penitila Tuitele II who is the eldest son of Penitila Tuitele I. Pulou Tuitele, Iava Toomata's father was the second eldest son of Penitila Tuitele I. My father lived under Iava Toomata's household in Leone since 1930. My father's mother Taofi Tuitele of Leone died in 1926. Siupolu Faiivae, my father's grandmother became his caregiver untile she died in 1930. The 1930 CENSUS showed, my father and Iava Toomata with his wife Tua lived in the household of Salatielu Tuitele and his wife Ekelani Salave'a of Leone village. Salatielu Tuitele was the Tuitele in 1930 succeeded Save Tuitele. Salatielu was the third son, his brother Malapua show shared the same mother was the fourth Tuitele, Uaine Tuitele is the youngest Tuitele. Each Tuitele brothers have different mothers with the exception of Salatielu and Malapua have the same mother.
My father's writing shows Salatielu and Uaine were the only Tuitele brothers took the title. The eldest son of Tuitele, Penitila Tuitele II, my father's grandfather, was probably too old to take the Tuitele title in 1902 after Penitila Tuitele I died. Salatielu was too young and was still in the Navy to take the title; therefore, Save who was the Talking Chief for the Tuitele took the title (see Matai Tuitele Case of 1902, High Court of American Samoa). According to my father's writing and discussion. Uaine Tuitele, the youngest Tuitele was the last legitimate Tuitele title.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
glennperry64 12 Jul 2003 10:08PM GMT 
ggperry 12 Sep 2003 6:43PM GMT 
kalalaporter1... 16 Mar 2002 3:50AM GMT 
Faalaniga_50 11 Aug 2013 6:44PM GMT 
kalalaporter1... 16 Mar 2002 3:50AM GMT 
kalalaporter1... 20 Mar 2002 3:41AM GMT 
livlei 26 Sep 2002 3:19AM GMT 
Faalaniga_50 11 Aug 2013 6:48PM GMT 
per page