Search for content in message boards

Collins, Williams, and/or Marquard? Please help me learn my family Geneology!!!!

Replies: 20

Re: Collins, Williams, and/or Marquardt? Please help me learn my family Geneology!!!!

Posted: 7 Nov 2008 1:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
No, that is all I have re the Samoans from Fiji- just a little list of their names. They returned to Fiji, and a couple were involved in a courtcase because they did not return their military issue boots to the NZ Army!

The NZ Samoa Expeditionary Force is just part of the NZ Army at the time. It consisted of 2 groups- the Advance party, who left NZ in early August 1914 to capture Samoa. They went via Noumea and Suva to Samoa, collecting a French warship and some Fiji Europeans and Fiji Samoans en route. The Fiji Europeans joined the NZ Army, in the Auckland Regiment,and eventually returned to NZ; the Fiji Samoans acted as guides to Samoa, then returned to Fiji.
By about mid 1915 most of the Advance party had returned to NZ.

The 2nd group was the Samoan Relief Force. These men replaced the Advance party. They were either older men, in their 40s and 50s, who were not considered suitable to be sent to Europe, or returned wounded soldiers, often from Gallipoli, who had recovered, but were then sent to Samoa to replace the older ones. The shipping lists in the war years are full of men, soldiers, returning from Samoa to Auckland. It was not a particularly healthy place for NZers. Several died and are buried in Samoa, others caught malaria and had to come home.
There were NZ nurses in Samoa as well

All NZ Expeditionary Force soldiers for WW1, which includes the Samoan Force, are listed in the WW1 CD produced by the NZSG, and most are listed in Archway, the Archives NZ online index, http://archway.archives.govt.nz/
except for those who remained in the NZ Army after WW1 finished. Their records are still at the Defence Force Archives in Trentham, Hutt Valley.

The ones recorded in Archway are gradually being filmed, and eventually will be online, similar to the Australian soldiers.

In the meantime, you can request a copy of a file from Archives NZ.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kealoha10 4 Nov 2008 11:13PM GMT 
Chris_Liavaa 7 Nov 2008 3:41AM GMT 
Manaia_A 7 Nov 2008 10:26AM GMT 
Manaia_A 7 Nov 2008 10:37AM GMT 
Chris_Liavaa 7 Nov 2008 8:11PM GMT 
Chris_Liavaa 7 Nov 2008 8:11PM GMT 
Kealoha10 12 Nov 2008 8:17PM GMT 
siotapopo 10 Dec 2011 8:42AM GMT 
william josep... 6 Oct 2013 9:04AM GMT 
Kealoha10 12 Nov 2008 8:13PM GMT 
per page