Search for content in message boards

Does anyone have a suggestion or tip that could help me?

Replies: 0

Does anyone have a suggestion or tip that could help me?

Posted: 15 Jan 2011 5:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pedersen, Nielsen
Hello Everyone,

I've run into a problem that I'm not accustomed to solving and could use some tips or advice from someone smarter and more experienced than me to help me move on.

In tracing my ancestor "Peder Nielsen", census and parish records give his place of birth as Aaby, with one exception. The exception says he is born in Brabrand around 1800-1801. Both are in Hasle herred, Aarhus amt.)

There is only one "Peder Nielsen" born in Aaby and the birth on 30 Sep 1800 fits perfectly (Åby 1765-1813, Opslag 33-34). His parents are given as "Niels Pedersen" and "Ane Pedersdatter". Later births of siblings give the father's name as "Niels Kann". The child does not show up in the 1801 census of Aaby (attached) with the couple 5 months later, but his age in the census says he is born in 1765. (Later censuses give Niels Kann different ages putting the birth year between 1765-1769.)

No marriage record is found for Niels Pedersen and Ane Pedersdatter in Aaby, but one is found in neighboring Brabrand on 8 Jul 1800 (Kasted 1763-1813, Opslag 223), so although she would have to be 7 months pregnant, I'm assuming this is the right marriage.

But, the engagement/marriage record (attached) says both are from Brabrand. I find only one (1) birth record in Brabrand (True bye) for a Niels Pedersen on 20 Jan 1771 (Kasted 1763-1813, Opslag 25), born to Peder Bering and his wife, so I think great!

Now, I go back to the 1801 census and find that this Niels Pedersen is still living with his parents (Niels Bierring) on 1 Feb 1801 in Brabrand...whereas my ancestors are living together in Aaby on the same date, although missing the child born 5 months earlier.

I went back to Aaby to search again and find only one Niels Pedersen born in the 1765-1775 period, Niels Pedersen baptized on 20 Dec 1772, to Peder Nielsen Temring or Lemring (Aaby 1765-1813, Opslag 9). The age does not fit well, but there are no other candidates.

Knowing that there are some very smart and helpful people out there who are more experienced than I am...I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Maybe there is something in the marriage or birth record in Danish that I cannot understand.

Do I have the wrong marriage record? I only find one and of the two Niels born in the area, one is still living unmarried with his parents!

The age of the Niels found in Aaby is outside the range given in census records. The place of birth matches the place of birth given in most census records, but the place of birth does not match the 1800 marriage record.

Any tips, suggestions, advice or other would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic