Search for content in message boards

Anders Rudolph RUDE, Son of CARL RUDE

Replies: 5

Re: Anders Rudolph RUDE, Son of CARL RUDE

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 2:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Nov 2012 2:41AM GMT
There seems to be some uncertainty concerning the name of Lars Andersen Rud’s wife. I’ll do some more checking.

Actually I owe you a little more. The names of pastor Rud’s parents don’t fit. But he is for sure the only Anders Rudolph Rud born in Denmark for many years. I checked all parishes in Copenhagen 1810 – 1815 to be sure.

Concerning slaves; my 4 x great grandfather, Peter Hansen Koch (1745-1817), ships captain of Copenhagen, was deeply involved in slave trade from the Gold Coast (now Ghana) to the Danish Caribbean Islands (now US Sct. Thomas, Sct. Croix and Sct. Ian). He shares the first place for most ship travels (Danish based) with slaves!

The name “Ruud” (original Norwegian spelling) was pronounced with a long “u” (close to “food”). It means a place (homestead) where you have cleared away (often burned) the trees/bushes. The term is common in the Nordic countries as the ending of old place names (-rud, -röd, -ryd). The Buskerud Fylke (county) in Norway was swamped with places ending “–rud”. Even the name of the fylke itself. A “rud” could be a very small settlement with only a few families; sometimes only one. It was often used together with the patronym to identify persons/families within the parish.

In Hole Parish (Lars Andersen Rud’s birthplace) I found many places with –rud. But Lars Andersen home is referred to as Ruud only – most likely indicating that this place was the oldest (original) “rud” in the parish.

I’ve found his birth, confirmation and the wedding of the parents if you are interested. But maybe you prefer to look them up yourself ?

Karsten
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DDUNLOP1205 24 Feb 2012 3:19PM GMT 
kcdamen 29 Nov 2012 8:47PM GMT 
Flemming_Aask... 29 Nov 2012 9:38PM GMT 
kcdamen 30 Nov 2012 9:39AM GMT 
kcdamen 30 Nov 2012 10:28AM GMT 
DDUNLOP1205 3 Dec 2012 3:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions