Search for content in message boards

How can I be sure I havethe right parents if 2 good candidates?

Replies: 2

How can I be sure I havethe right parents if 2 good candidates?

Posted: 9 Jan 2011 7:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

How can I be sure that I have the right parents, if I have two fathers with the same exact name?

Here is my case in point:

I am looking for a birth/baptism record for Ane Jensdatter in the Gunderup-Novling-Belsntrup-Gudum area. According to census records in 1787 and 1801, she should be born between 1761-1763.

In her marriage record in Blenstrup on 10 Aug 1783, she married Niels Jacobsen, however, it was found that 2 years earlier she had an illegitimate child with Niels in Haals in Gundeup parish that was baptized on 1 Jan 1781. In this marriage record, it says that Ane is the daughter of Jens Sondergaard. In their engagement record in Blenstrup (Gerding-Blenstrup 1776-1814, Opslag 65) the sponsors are from Blenstrup and AEskildrup.

But, there are two Jens Sondergaards...

Candidate 1 is married to Mette Lauridsdatter. They are in Gunderup and having children as late as 8 Apr 1753 when a daughter "Ane" is born (Opslag 306). This is perfect except the age doesn't match by 8-10 years. He is older and has been married for about 20 years because he has numerous other children born in Romdrup and Gunderup.

I look a little further and find that Jens Sondergaard dies two years later and is buried on 26 Oct 1755 (Opslag 318).

In December 1755, the same year, Jens Sondergaard is engaged to Ane Pedersdatter in Gunderup. On 8 Feb 1756, Kens Larsen Sondergaard marries Ane Pedersdatter and they have a daughter "Maren" later the same year. From the marriage date, they look like a perfect candidate as well, but I do not find any more children born to this couple in Gunderup or neighboring parishes.

Ane Jensdatter and her husband both die years later in 1838 within 2 days of each other in October 1838 - in Haals, the place the first Ane Jensdatter above was born.

Is there a way to be more confident in my choice that the first Jens Sondergaard is the correct one? After all, a woman not telling the truth about her age later in life must be as old as time...

Thank in advance for any suggestions or advice,
Rick
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ricklarsen_lu... 9 Jan 2011 2:53PM GMT 
Birthe Stenz 10 Jan 2011 5:24PM GMT 
ricklarsen_lu... 10 Jan 2011 5:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions