Search for content in message boards

Pregnancy Before Marriage in Denmark discussion

Replies: 10

Re: Pregnancy Before Marriage in Denmark discussion

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 8:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Martin/ Nielsen
Paul,
I have more less given up on finding my gg grandmother's place of birth. I have searched many times in my city records with the marriage & cemetery records being the only ones I found. She is listed on the 1870 Racine, Racine Co., WI census.

This is the info on the marriage record: this record stretched across 2 ledger pages in a straight line making it almost impossible to copy.
Date of Registration of Marriage was Jan. 11, 1869 in Vol. 8, page 17, #10
Person pronouncing the marriage was J. Miller Eggen of Racine.
Witnesses were Peder Larsen and Jens Jensen
Jens occupation is listed as blacksmith
Jens name is spelled Matensen in the index to Marriages. On the record it could also be read as Motensen. Johanne's last name is spelled Nilson on the record. This could be for Nielson/Nielsen.
Parents of Jens are listed as Martin Rasmussen & Kristine Berthelsen. Johanne's parents are noted as Nils Kristiansen and Maren Kristiansen.

Emmaus Lutheran Church has an entry for the marriage of Jens and Johanne.
The church's records were microfilmed by
Ev. Lutheran Church Archives at Luther Seminary in St. Paul MN

Jens' parents name should have been written as Morten Rasmussen, but due to not understanding the Danish accent his last name was spelled numerous way including Yens for his 1st name in a city directory. He was baptized Jen Christian Morten-Christensen. I have all the danish records for him.

In the marriage record it lists his parents with his mother's real danish name. So, I'm thinking would not Johanne's mother's name listed be her danish name? Maren Kristiansen. I guess due to all the errors spelling the danish names I can't count on the accuracy of the last names beginning with a K or C.
With Johanne dying in 1875 and not finding a death record other than an index card at the cemetery I won't be able to find where she came from. There is no family story about her other than when she married Jens she had a son named Frank and there is no birth record for him or any listing on his marriage record of who his father was. It was listed as unknown.

I just can't think of another place to look. And the Danish Forum was wonderful in trying to help me. I have found so many of mine and my husband's Danish families through Staten Arkivers which has been so interesting. I guess I will never know Johanne's story. I only know she may have been born in Oct of 1845 from the listing of her age on the cemetery index card as 29 yrs., 11 mo. Her death date was 17 Sep 1875.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KarenLWeisss2... 13 Jan 2014 3:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic