Jorgen Christian Berthelsen--relatives living in Denmark

Replies: 3

Jorgen Christian Berthelsen--relatives living in Denmark

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 3:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jul 2013 3:51PM GMT
Surnames: Berthelsen, Prestegaard, Petersen
Hello...
My son is visiting Copenhagen for the first time next week. I came to Denmark just out of high school in 1966 and was greeted by relatives--and overwhelmed by their warmth and generosity--by the friendliness of all Danes! I stayed in Denmark for two months and took classes in Danish language and history in Copenhagen.

Over the years, although we have been close with family here in the U.S., I have lost contact with my relatives in Denmark. I would love to find family for my son to visit or meet while he is there.

Some information to help:

I am Jorgen Christian Berthelsen III. My great grandfather, Hans Peter Berthelsen (born 1869), came to America in the 1880s. He married Gunhild Prestegaard (born in Illinois in 1869 and of Norwegian descent) in 1894. Their children were Jorgen Senior, Neils Olav, Dorothea, Andrea, Hans (died in childhood), Esther, Viggo, Hand (another son) and Ruth. (I suppose keeping warm was a challenge during those South Dakota winters!)

Hans Peter was an itinerant Lutheran pastor, traveling on horseback in the Black Hills of the Dakotas. In fact he was knighted by the King of Denmark for his missionary work here!

My grandfather, JCB Senior, was born in Lead, South Dakota in 1895. He worked for the Scandinavian-American Steamship Company and the Swedish-American Steamship Line. (I sailed on the Kungsholm II when I visited Denmark) and married Anna Thomasine Petersen, who was born in 1894 in Omaha Nebraska.

I know we had relatives in Odense, Esbjerg and Aarhus. I believe one was named Otto and was a banker in Esbjerg.

I am sad and chagrined that I have lost contact with our family in Denmark and I would love to reestablish it. If any of the above is familiar, please let me know in this form and we can exchange emails.

Thank you in advance...

Jorgen Christian Berthelsen, III
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jcberthelsen 19 Jul 2013 9:51PM GMT 
PLondahlsmid1 27 Jul 2013 10:09PM GMT 
PLondahlsmid1 27 Jul 2013 11:29PM GMT 
PLondahlsmid1 28 Jul 2013 12:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions