Search for content in message boards

Axel Womar GOTTLUND, b. Tawastehus, Finland

Replies: 24

Re: Axel Womar GOTTLUND, b. Tawastehus, Finland

Posted: 1 Jul 2013 3:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2013 3:53PM GMT
That is correct, Axel Wolmar Gottlund was buried to the same grave as his father, Axel Wolmar Gottlund the senior who was the city commandant Tawastehus (Hämeenlinna) in Finland.

You can find the grave in Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=40...).

Axel Wolmar Gottlund's (the senior) father is probably known to you. He was one Carl Axel Gottlund (b. February 24, 1796, Ruotsinpyhtää – d. April 20, 1875, Helsinki), a Finnish explorer, collector of folklore, historian, cultural politician, linguist, philologist, translator, writer, publisher and lecturer of Finnish language at the University of Helsinki. You can find more info on him from Wikipedia.

This family is particularly interesting to me because I am a distant cousin to Carl Axel Gottlund through his father Matthias Gottlund, the vicar of Juva. Matthias was the first to use the surname Gottlund and he was originally born in the village of Haavisto located in Ruotsinpyhtää, Finland. My both grandparents were born in Haavisto and they lived there for their whole lives so the village is really familiar place to me.

Matthias was the son of a house called Eerola and by every means that was the surname adapted by Matthias' siblings and their children. The name Gottlund derives from this family's background as the Eerolas descended from a mercenary called Michel Skotte who got fief in Ruotsinpyhtää during the 17th century. Michel was probably Scottish born and that is why he used the name Skotte, meaning Scott. Then again the name Gottlund is just a variation of the name Skotte - which is of course quite interesting.

I descend from Michel Skotte through several different ways and that makes Carl Axel Gottlund even more interesting distant cousin for me.

Attachment is a photo of Carl Axel Gottlund.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Botterud 10 Jan 2008 7:47PM GMT 
ngottlund 28 Feb 2008 11:12PM GMT 
gregoire_tols... 15 Aug 2011 4:28PM GMT 
Jere Markkane... 1 Jul 2013 9:52PM GMT 
jdabbott157 29 Aug 2008 4:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions