Search for content in message boards

Need help locating your Finnish roots?

Replies: 207

Re: Need help locating your Finnish roots?

Posted: 11 Aug 2012 7:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Aug 2012 8:13PM GMT
Surnames: SAINIO/HEINONEN
Hi Unkka.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide. I've been searching for information on my Finnish family for many many years and have hit a road block. I will give you as much information as I can...hopefully without making it too confusing. I am searching for my SAINIO/HEINONEN family.

Urho Sainio b. abt 1907 (possibly Isokyro area) d. around early 1970's in Kingston, ON Canada. He came to Canada in 1924 at the age of 17. It is not known why or if he travelled with anyone else. He lived in the Sudbury area when he came to Canada. He married Hannah Heinonen (b. 28 Jan 1907, Finland - d. 7 Sept 1934, Sudbury, ON Canada. Buried Park Lawn Cemetary, Sudbury). I believe they married in late 1930, in Canada. Together, they had one daughter, my grandmother, Laura.

After Hannah's death he went back to Finland for a short time with my grandmother. I found a record (though I can't remember where I found the record) that shows they travelled Sept 29 1936 and that he was in transit to Orismala, Wassan. L, Finland. And his employment was a miner.

It is believed that Urho's father's name was Kalle Sainio (born around 1880's) of Orismala, Isaokyro, Finland, but nothing is known of his mother.

Urho remarried some time after Hannah's death to Aino ..maiden name is unconfirmed, but possibly Sandholm.

This is all the information I have regarding the Sainio's and would love any additional informtion regarding his parent's, siblings, place of birth and personal info on him. I do have his passenger records.

I would also like any informtion on Hannah Heinonen's family. There have been many questions regarding her family. She was one of 5 children, 4 girls, 1 boy. Two girls stayed in Finland, while the remaining came to Canada. One sister's name is believed to be Ida, who married Arvo Salmi in the Sudbury area.

Hannah's mother, Wilhelmina (maiden name uncofirmed but possibly Rissanen or Kokko? or neither?), married twice. First to Heinonen (which may be the name she had coming into Canada) and second to Hartikainen, who we believe she married in Canada. I have found some death info on Wukhelmina Hartikainen, buried Park Lawn Cemetary, died 25 Oct 1960, but unsure if this is the correct Wilhelmina Hartikainen (above her listed a Paavo Hartikainen, but not sure if or how they are connected, possible husband?). I have come across passenger lists that make me wonder and one marriage record that I questioned...but none of the records add up together. So, I'm not sure who to follow....so confused!

One bit of information that also has me stumped is on Hannah's death certificate. Her mother's name is listed as Miina Hartikanen (they misspelled it), but under her father it simply states Laino or Leino. So, I've wondered if this is his first name or surname, meaning she may have had a different father then we thought? Again, I'm confused. I have attached the death certificate so you can see...

I know this is A LOT to digest and I hope I haven't overwhelmed you. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you so much for your time!

Danielle Rescan
drescan77@hotmail.com
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jnmrawson1 4 May 2011 6:00AM GMT 
Grover22 10 Jun 2012 5:55PM GMT 
gshurtliff 4 Aug 2012 5:35PM GMT 
Grover22 16 Sep 2012 10:38PM GMT 
gshurtliff 21 Sep 2012 5:33PM GMT 
Grover22 16 Sep 2012 10:38PM GMT 
gshurtliff 7 Jun 2014 10:32AM GMT 
spicebeanpot1... 9 Oct 2012 11:00PM GMT 
LifetimeHobby... 16 Jun 2012 2:15PM GMT 
Drescan77 12 Aug 2012 1:56AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions