Search for content in message boards

What are the villages in or near Malax?

Replies: 6

Re: What are the villages in or near Malax?

Posted: 30 Nov 2009 3:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Kaisa,

Thanks for the info. It's making more sense now. And thanks for the farm list. It is very useful.

So these farms - did people use a surname based on these, and then change their name as they moved to different farms? It has been difficult to search names in Hiski because it seems that the surname changes periodically to match these farm names. So many of the family names are Nordman, Wias, Mattlar and I see those names in farm list. But the parents might be Mattlar, while the children go by Wias.

Also another question. When I look up Malax on Google maps it shows the names of the farms as if they were villages, helping to add to my confusion. Also, many of the names have changed over time or they are now in Finnish instead of Swedish. I'm just interested in where thes places are in relation to each other.

I'm still fairly new to doing research in Finland. I've been doing family research for many years, but mostly on family in the Netherlands. I live in the USA so almost all my research is done online. And it's discouraging that not all the records are avaiable in Hiski yet and the progress seems to be very slow. Do you know of any other resources online for searching records in Finland (specifically Malax and Petalax)?

thanks again!

Luke
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Luke Broersma 28 Nov 2009 10:33PM GMT 
kkylakos 30 Nov 2009 5:19AM GMT 
Luke Broersma 30 Nov 2009 10:21PM GMT 
kkylakos 1 Dec 2009 4:52AM GMT 
Luke Broersma 1 Dec 2009 6:22PM GMT 
Luke Broersma 5 Dec 2009 6:37PM GMT 
kavanagh18 6 Dec 2009 8:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic