Search for content in message boards

Seeking families from Plunge. Bieliauskas, Kubilius, Staponkus

Replies: 4
Posted: 17 Jan 2003 10:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 May 2005 7:34AM GMT
I accomplished most of my research by mail, with the Catholic church in Plunge and the city records office. Neither one charged a fee. The church responded in English and the city records office responded in Lithuanian. I also wrote to the Vilnius Archives and they responded with some information and will do more searching, but it will take time and it does cost. I've paid them several hundred dollars for English translations of records. They are very thorough. I visited Lithuania in May 2002 after locating my mother's family. I spent much of my time with them in the Vilnius area and a little time in Kaunas. My trip to Plunge was very short. I stopped at the towns newspaper, Plunges Zinios, and with the help of interpretors, asked them to place an ad, searching for family. I had a message all prepared in advance. I was told they would run the ad in the paper and in other media (not sure if it was the internet and/or radio). When I asked how much, they said there was no charge until someone responded to the ad?? Well, I never heard anything. I guess I have to take their word for it that the ad was run at all. I stopped at the church and hoped to speak to someone there, but they were busy with a funeral. All in all I spent a few hours in Plunge and then moved on to see Palanga and the Baltic Sea. I very much enjoyed my visit to Lithuania and hope to go back and spend more time there. I was only there for 2 weeks. The people are friendly and country is more modern than I thought it would be. I was frustrated at times with not being able to speak the language. If you'd like the addresses in Plunge to write for more info, contact me at MarieB1@chartermi.com
Good luck on your search.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bieliauskaite 31 Dec 2002 2:26PM GMT 
S_Stemont 16 Jan 2003 6:16PM GMT 
Bieliauskaite 17 Jan 2003 5:40PM GMT 
marie 18 Jan 2003 12:22AM GMT 
rickdeelacey 22 Oct 2012 2:01AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic