Search for content in message boards

Daniels or Danielus in Branford and Waterbury CT

Replies: 4

Re: Daniels or Danielus in Branford and Waterbury CT

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 2:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Daniel, Danielus, Ciulkys, Gigel,
Not sure if there is a relationship, but here's what I know of the Daniel side of my family. They lived in Siauliai, Lithuania, and owned a windmill, now part of the Ausros Museum in Siaulia. (Note that Siauliai is also known by other names from the days it was part of Poland, Germany and Russia: Schakinow, Schauluken, etc.

1. Johann Wilhelm Daniel married Sophie Elisabeth (date not known)
2. Their son, Johann Gustav Daniel (born 1st March, 1832, in Schakinow) married Theophile Angelica Gigel (born 10th Dec, 1842)..married 6th Nov, 1860. Johann and his father build a flour mill around 1875-80. Johann Gustav Danile and his wife have five children (Ewald, Aleksandras, Alfred, Ernst and Irma), of whom I have descendant information on only two.:
3. Ewald Edmund Daniel (born 23rd July, 1887, in Schauluken) married Ida Daniel, a cousin (born 26th Sept, 1894)..married 27th Dec, 1912. They had a daughter, Ella (Elly) Agnes Agate Daniel (born 5th Feb.1922, in Papelkai/Popelkin) married Wilhelm (Vilius) Martin Ciulkys (born 27th Apr 1916)..married 5th October, 1940 in Siauliai. They have a son, Jurgis (George) Dieter Ciulkys (now Keil)..born 8th Feb,1944 in Schauluken. They emigrate to Australia soon after Jurgis is born.
4. Alexander (Aleksandras) Daniel (birthdate unknown) marries Emilie (Emilija) and they live in Kursenai where they own a mill. They have five children, the oldest of which is my grandmother, Helene Anna Daniel (born Aug. 26, 1897). About 1909, Aleksandras (according to family legend) gambles away the mill and decamps to the US alone. Emilie, Helene and the rest of the children move to Siauliai. Emilie and two children die within the first year. My grandmother goes into service and ends up a housekeeper to wealthy families. On Feb. 7, 1932, she marries my grandfather Bronislavas Sinickas. On July 29, 1933, my father is born, Bronius Hermanas Sinickas. In 1940-41, they escape to Germany and live in DP camps until after the war. My grandfather dies in Germany, and my father and grandmother move to Chicago, IL, where my parents meet and marry.

Family legend also says that Alexander started a second family in New Jersey, and that my grandmother once met her half-sisters after her father had already died. She never stayed in touch with them. However, I wonder if your family in Connecticut, who moved to the US a few years before Alexander ended up in NJ, might have been cousins of some sort. Let me know if you find a connection!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
smaslek 22 Mar 2010 3:21AM GMT 
tsadausk 22 Mar 2010 1:16PM GMT 
smaslek 25 Mar 2010 1:11AM GMT 
tsadausk 25 Mar 2010 11:35AM GMT 
sinickasa 16 Aug 2013 8:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic