Search for content in message boards

Galinis from Kaniukai near Alytus

Replies: 11

Galinis from Kaniukai near Alytus

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 11:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jan 2012 9:14AM GMT
Surnames: Galinis, Galinnis, Urbanavich, Račkauskas, Pauza, Antanavicius, Packianczius, Packevicz
I am trying to determine the name of my Lithuanian ancestral village. My gg-grandparents were named Vincent Galinis and Martha Urbanavich (I am not sure if this is the correct spelling). They lived in a village near Alytaus. All but one of their children went to Branford Connecticut around 1904. Only two ship manifests listed a village name, but I’m not sure if I have read them correctly. I have included an image showing these village names as they appear on the manifests with a rudimentary family tree.

One village name looks like Kaniūkai and the other name might be Koniuchy? I found online that Koniuchy is the Polish name for Kaniūkai. However, it seems there are several villages with the name Kaniūkai. Are they all also called Koniuchy?

I would love to hear some opinions from others here that know the area – Do you think my guess is correct? The daughter that remained in Lithuania, Rosalia, married Ignas Račkauskas, and had several children (I don’t know their names – I only have photographs). Our family lost touch with them over the years and I hope to find them. Other family names are Pauza and Antanavicius.

The first Galinis in my family to arrive in America was headed to Branford CT to his uncle M Packianczius (I'm not sure if this is spelled correctly) The name later became Packevicz.

I hope that someone will recognize some of this information. I would like to find my ancestral village and take my mom to visit her grandmother's birthplace. Thank you!
Shellie
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
smaslek 22 Jan 2012 6:29AM GMT 
LithuanianGen... 22 Jan 2012 3:35PM GMT 
smaslek 22 Jan 2012 6:13PM GMT 
LithuanianGen... 23 Jan 2012 3:26AM GMT 
LithuanianGen... 23 Jan 2012 4:09AM GMT 
jjzuis1 20 Feb 2012 8:40PM GMT 
smaslek 21 Feb 2012 2:59AM GMT 
tsadausk 21 Feb 2012 3:52PM GMT 
Malgorzata Bo... 5 May 2012 8:12PM GMT 
smaslek 7 Feb 2013 2:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions