Search for content in message boards

WHAT'S IN A NAME? Seeking HELP in my research!!

Replies: 47

Re: Louis/Lars Hogan/Haagen(sen) Swanson/Svendsen from Voss, Hordaland

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 4:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
In reply to your question on this page, Haakon's father was Svend, since he's Haakon Svend's son. Sigrid's father was named Bryngel, or Brynjulf, whichever variation is on the records.

I do have a suggestion of what you could do next, to either verify what I found, or rule it out. It would be another good verification if you could find the exact birthdate of Lars Haagensen in the parish registers. (After about 1600, the local parish ministers were supposed to keep good records about birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage, death, and sometimes they recorded who was given permission to leave the parish, (move) and where they went.

These parish registers are not online for Voss at that time, I've looked. But they are in the possession of the LDS - Latter Day Saints/Mormon research centers. You should go there, and they will help you figure out which microfilms to order delivered to your local LDS research center.

If you look up Lars's baptism date, the entry should tell his birthdate, and for the parent's wedding, it should tell their home farms, perhaps fathers names at least, and birth years. Then go back in time on the microfilm and get their birth baptism information. You can also see if there are any confirmation records, you will have to scan some years worth, maybe from about the time he is 13 until maybe 15 or 16 until you see him.

When I did a search at familysearch.org, this is what I found, and the film number, etc. are at the bottom.

LARS HAAGENSEN
Male
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 14 JUL 1850 Voss, Hordaland, Norway
Death:
Burial:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: HAAGEN SVENDSEN Family
Mother: SIGRID BRYNNILDSDR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

C423317 1849 - 1863 0278097 Film NONE

Håkon Sveinson, born about 1819, married 1848 with Sigrid Brynjulfdatter Bulko. They had children: Lars born 1850, Brynjulv born 1853, Svein born 1861, Ivar born 1865, Synneva born 1856, Anna born 1858, Kari born 1872.

You should also try to find the other kids, and the parents wedding, which may tell their home farms and fathers' names.

Also, check 1869 to see if there is any permission or leaving of the parish for Lars. It may say what his destination was.

HAAGEN SVENDSEN
Male Family
Event(s):
Marriages:
Spouse: SIGRI BRYNNILDSDR Family
Marriage: 30 MAY 1848 Voss, Hordaland, Norway
Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Source Information:

M423319 1837 - 1848 0124789 Film NONE

M423319 1837 - 1851 0124789 Film NONE

Here is the information they (LDS familysearch.org) have for Haagen Svendsen's parents and birthdate.

HAAGEN SVENDSEN
Male
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 07 MAR 1819 Voss, Hordaland, Norway
Parents:
Father: SVEND HAAGENSEN Family
Mother: SYNNEVA LARSDR

the 1801 census online has only one Sven Haagensen in Voss, he is a 20 year old hired hand on the farm called Grove Store (Grove Big)

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbas...

Here is the marriage of Haagen Svendsen's parents.
SVEND HAAGENSEN
Male Family

Event(s):
Marriages:
Spouse: SYNNEVA LARSDR Family
Marriage: 03 JAN 1811 Voss, Hordaland, Norway
Source Information:
M423314 1810 - 1823 0124787 Film NONE
Sheet: 00

LDS also has this generation back, with a spelling variation in the records, the baptism of Svend Haagensen, who on the 1801 census was 20 years old.

SVEIN HAKONSON
Male
Event(s):
Birth: 22 MAR 1781 Reime, Voss, Hordaland, Norway
Christening:
Death: 1862

Burial:
Parents:
Father: HAKON KNUTSON Family
Mother: SYNNEVA SVEINSDATTER

But I totally agree with Stephanie, you do need to first verify Lars. Then if I'm totally off track, boy was I barking up the wrong family tree.
But I don't think I have been.

Good luck at your local LDS family research center.
They seem to have the Voss information on microfilm that you need. Also look up the siblings, which may add to your information.

Taryn

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TinaHogan65 27 Jan 2007 10:20PM GMT 
TarynMN 28 Jan 2007 5:10PM GMT 
TarynMN 28 Jan 2007 7:53PM GMT 
StephanieBeno... 28 Jan 2007 8:25PM GMT 
TinaHogan65 28 Jan 2007 8:40PM GMT 
TarynMN 28 Jan 2007 8:49PM GMT 
TinaHogan65 28 Jan 2007 9:05PM GMT 
TarynMN 29 Jan 2007 11:48PM GMT 
TinaHogan65 30 Jan 2007 12:50AM GMT 
TarynMN 30 Jan 2007 1:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions