Search for content in message boards

Woyen, Brunes,Tollefdatter, Petersen,

Replies: 6

Re: Woyen, Brunes,Tollefdatter, Petersen,

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 1:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Betty, Just today 21 July 2012 found your Post on Message Board written 16 June 2012 with Alexander WOYEN.
We are 1 cousin 2 removed in-law relationship to each other. My name is Willie E. HAMBLY (widow of Jim HAMBLY, your 1c2r)
Have tried to find your address and phone number, my address book of 1973 has you living in etc., etc.(won't list it here)and still I don't know how to reach you. PLEASE E-mail me at sparky13@telus.net.
Alexander WOYEN's son, Hans Wilhelm "Bill" WOYEN - Jim had interviewed in the 1970's at Edmonton, Alberta. Uncle "Bill" told Jim that He had always written the NEILSON's in Norway. We have often wondered "if" they are
Alexander's blood line. Uncle "Bill" said that the blood father spelling is Neils OLSEN (BRINCH).
Jim had a copy of Alexander's christening (you have baptized
23 Aug 1867 as Alexander Neilsen Brunes at Trefoldighed, Oslo, Askershus, Norway). PLEASE both of us to find a copy of Alexander's chr./bapt. record and share. Jim's papers have Alexander's christened 27 Oct 1867, same place as you have. As you probably know for the time period in Norway and their law was for the woman had to name the father of the baby. The state and church were one and they then went after the father to help support the baby. Another law had that the woman weather or not was married was considered unclean and not premitted to attend the baby's chr./bapt. Jim's research found Alexander's blood Father is holding him, with Godparents and witnesses. The naming of a son was to take the Father's given first name and add "sen" to it for the surname of the baby. Thus Alexander NEILSEN. You probably already know all this. Another surname was added from the farm name thus Alexander's Step-father, Peter HANSEN who owned the VOIEN farm. When Alexander came to America (United States) on a ship (the Ship Passenger List from Norway to America) has the spelling of the farm name of VOIEN to WOYEN spelling. Also this Ship Passenger List has Alexander's Uncle's name that He was traveling with, think it was Hans TOLLEFSEN (Alexander's Mother's brother, a retired Ship Captain (if I remember correctly). The 1875 Census in Norway states (in my words) that our Alexander is NOT the son of the Head of the household, Peter HANSEN. There is a lot more that Jim had to research and document because He wanted to know and because the goverment of Alberta, Canada did NOT have a death certificate for Alexander WOYEN. Even tho Alex's living children were at His bedside when He died, His death had not been reported so Jim had to prove that Alex had lived and died with documentation taken to the goverment. Then we thought that they would give us a free copy..No...we had to pay for a death certificate. from Willie E. HAMBLY
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BettyMEM 16 Jun 2012 5:37PM GMT 
thoraway 17 Jun 2012 11:35AM GMT 
wpeteach 17 Jun 2012 3:06PM GMT 
4vivi 17 Jun 2012 3:35PM GMT 
4vivi 17 Jun 2012 3:55PM GMT 
wpeteach 18 Jun 2012 2:04PM GMT 
hamblywilliee... 21 Jul 2012 7:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions