Search for content in message boards

Vollane under Vaal.....Komnes parish?

Replies: 1

Re: Vollane under Vaal.....Komnes parish?

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 9:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
The suffixes eie, eit, sometimes eye, eje, and the like, as a suffix or three separate letters after a farm name indicates it's an under-farm.

Because of the very long history of Danish rule starting in the late 1300s, Norway was under Danish rule and the educated persons learned Danish, so the language used in the pre-1900 records (and slightly after in some cases) is Dano-Norsk (in some cases I've also seen Latinized and Germanic spellings, so it depended on the educational background of the writer). Some of that is explained in this article:
http://www.spellingsociety.org/journals/j1/norwegian.php
The Language Tree
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/IndoEurop...

There was no standardized spelling until ca 1917 and the first Norwegian Dictionary, so spelling was often phonetic. I suspect in some cases they corresponded with the local dialects. Many letters are used interchangeably: W/V, I/J and sometimes I/J/Y; K/Q, K/G. If I have to choose a spelling for the sake of my genealogy program, I normally go with what's in the kirke records, but sometimes for the sake of something resembling consistency, I'll choose a modern version of a name, but I make a note in the Misc Notes section about the spelling, and in the case of transcribed records, it's self-evident, but I always, always, always transcribe the record with what's on the page. If I have to choose a more modern spelling for farm names (since the spellings vary wildly over some 300++ years of records), I often go with the spelling in the 1900, maybe 1910 census. If I know from unimpeachable sources in Norway what a correct modern spelling is, I'll go with that if it differs from what's in the records. People in Norway already know about the multiple alternate spellings and realize the same farm is meant no matter how it's spelled through the centuries.

Those decisions must be decided on a case-by-case basis.

The sogn/township [sub-parish] and the parish/prestegjeld are at the top of the page for the census data if you need to research it, along with the farm name. They're all labeled if you're using English as the default language for the search engine and column headers.

Amt is the Danish word for county (still used in Denmark today). Modern Norwegians use fylke (county).

Sandsvær is the correct spelling, not Sandsver. It's a former municipality in Buskerud. When in doubt, copy-paste the correct spelling into your genealogy program.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandsvaer

Someone else should be able to give you the Ctrl/Alt/number info to get the three extra vowels; I have never figured out how to use them. I do research in all three Scandinavian countries (plus others), so I long ago installed the keyboard layouts for those countries, and use a scroll menu on my taskbar that installed itself when I chose which keyboard layouts I wanted and hit Apply (if you don't hit Apply, it doesn't work). If I fear misspelling something, I copy-paste it whenever possible.

In all cases (no matter which country), put the locations in order from smallest unit to largest. In Norwegian records, farm name, sogn (when I have it), prestegjeld, and fylke, Norway. In the US, township, county, state, or for town/city locations, then town/city (township if I know it), county, state. If an event did not happen in a town, I go with township, county, state (especially true for births that used to happen at home; the township is listed on the birth record). In Norwegian records the name of the farm where the parents reside is listed; if an illegitimate birth, then the place where the mother was residing.

In ALL cases, I pretend like I'm someone looking at my records 200 years into the future where my pedigree and family group sheet info have survived but not the records in my notebooks and I spell everything out and never use abbreviations (they may not be valid in 200 years, and in other countries the abbreviations may mean something entirely different). Whoever wants to duplicate my searches in the future will know in no uncertain terms where the events happened and where to find the records because everything is spelled out completely.

:-) That should give you food for thought and a good start.

Beste,
Bev

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RPokorny 24 Feb 2013 3:21PM GMT 
BevAnderson91 24 Feb 2013 4:16PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions