Search for content in message boards

Fred Severson and Lena Lien of Slayton Minnesota

Replies: 14

Re: Fred Severson and Lena Lien of Slayton Minnesota

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 11:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello!
I think that Gudleik Støylen and his wife Reidun live in Fosnavaag which is a town about 1 hr driving + a 30 min. ferry from Aalesund. Have a look on this site to know more about the region: http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/
Fosnavaag is i the community of Heroy. I have not yet got the book about the family, but I will translate the information or make a family tree for you. The reasons why 800.000 norwegians emigrated to America are complex. It was not any extraordinary for your family. Fredrik gave no reason why he went in 1896, but 6.583 other norwegians left for the U.S. that same year. Naming in Norway: Up to the 20th century they used patronyme - if your father was christened Peter - you got the surname Petersen or Petersdaughter. You did not change by marriage. This system is still used in Iceland. Additionaly you used the name of the farm or place you lived. If you moved - you took the name of the place you settled. So a name of a man could be Jon Hansen Lid - then he moved to Myklebust.
His name is suddenly Jon Hansen Myklebust!
Occupation in Norway: Combination of farming and fishing. In 1865 six people lived on the farm where Fred came from. They had 5 cows, 10 sheep and grew oats and potatoes.
It will be much easier for me to send you information by e-mail. Check at www.ikamr.no and clikc the word Tilsette at the left. Then you get a list of the emplyees, among them me
and you can find my e-mail address.
Gunnar O. Morsund
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GunnarOM 23 Jan 2012 6:50PM GMT 
Lowellsdotter... 23 Jan 2012 8:42PM GMT 
GunnarOM 23 Jan 2012 8:56PM GMT 
Lowellsdotter... 24 Jan 2012 1:41PM GMT 
GunnarOM 24 Jan 2012 6:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions