Search for content in message boards

Shipping Company in late 1800's owned by family in Vågan Parish, Nordland, Norway

Replies: 5

Shipping Company in late 1800's owned by family in Vågan Parish, Nordland, Norway

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 10:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Feb 2012 10:41PM GMT
Surnames: Mikkelsen, Rognan, Olsnes, Just, Jaeger, Disington or Dieington
My greatgrandfather Michael Mikkelsen of Sparbu Parish(near Steinkjer) Nord-Trøndelag had a nephew Anton Martin Rognan (Mikkelsen), who was the son of Michael Mikkelsen's brother, Ernst Peder Rognan (changed from Mikkelsen). Anton Martin Rognan married Maria Magdalena Johansdtr in 1886 in Vågan, Nordland, Norway. I understand that Maria came from a family that was in the shipping business. Her father was Jonas Johanson Olsnes b. 1827 Jamtland, Sweden and d. after 1865 in Kabelvag, Vågan, Nordland. Maria's mother was Johanna Frederikka Pedersdtr Just b. 1816 at Nesna and died after the 1865 Census at Vågan Parish. Johanna's parents were Peder Andreas Madsen Just and Dorthea or Elen Edvardsdatter Just, both born and died Vågan Parish. Going back further in Peder Andreas Madsen Just's family are the surnames Jaeger and Dieington or Disington.
My great grandfather Michael Mikkelsen and his brother Bernt came to the USA around 1854 and 1858. They were sailors out of Chicago for some years before they eventually settled down in Nebraska to farm. In the USA, their names were Martin C. Wilson and Henry C. Wilson. In 1949 my grandmother, Olena Wilson, who was the daughter/law of Michael Mikkelsen/Martin C. Wilson came to Trondheim trying to find Michael's family. By this time Olena was 78 years old and she came with a daughter and two young grandsons. She had hoped to find them thru this part of the family that was in the shipping business. But they had no luck finding them. By this time when Olena came to find Michael's family, Michael Mikkelsen/Martin C. Wilson had been dead for 28 years.
Recently I talked to one of the gt grandsons of Anton Martin Rognan who lives in the U.S. He did not know the name of the shipping company, but he thought possibly the following surnames could be in it: Dishington (?Disington or Dieington), Just, Jaeger, or Maier.
Is there anyone who can help me with information about this shipping business?
Thank you so much!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sharonburkhar... 11 Feb 2012 5:40AM GMT 
hannelineosbe... 6 Apr 2012 3:11PM GMT 
hannelineosbe... 6 Apr 2012 3:21PM GMT 
sharonburkhar... 7 Apr 2012 7:25AM GMT 
thoraway 7 Apr 2012 11:31AM GMT 
sharonburkhar... 7 Apr 2012 5:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions