Search for content in message boards

Hage family search plus name change question

Replies: 20

Hage family search plus name change question

Posted: 16 Apr 2012 3:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hage Lundquist Parsons
I'm just starting my search, so some explanatory info: my great-great grandmother's uncles were supposedly Norwegian barons, so the family was fairly well-to-do; the family was from 'an island in Stavanger bay'. She married a blacksmith, however, which the family frowned upon (all this according to family history, such as we have, because great-grandma was kind of close-mouthed about all that).

My great-grandmother's maiden name, Hage, isn't getting me anywhere; I know when she came to this country, when she died, my great-grandfather's name, etc. I know my great-grandfather started out in Sweden as 'Lundquist' and was married with that name, but I guess when he and great-grandma got naturalized, their name was changed to 'Parsons'.

My questions: Is it possible to trace an individual based on livelihood? If so, what's Norwegian for 'blacksmith' or 'smith'?

Are children listed in the Danish Royalty Book (if my relatives were indeed barons), or only family names?

If a woman came over with two children in tow (my great-grandfather's father had died after a fall) wouldn't they be listed on the ship's manifest? I've found matching names for my grandfather's mother, but nothing listed for him or his sister.

Last question: when I search for records based on last name, how best to handle the change from A to B in my great-grandparent's case? I gather I can search under the original name 'Lundquist' for earlier records, but am I likely to find early records under the changed name as well?

Thanks for any pointers.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Servelan 16 Apr 2012 9:16PM GMT 
4vivi 16 Apr 2012 11:11PM GMT 
Brian Gaber 17 Apr 2012 4:00AM GMT 
hrn65 17 Apr 2012 11:00AM GMT 
thoraway 17 Apr 2012 1:53PM GMT 
Servelan 19 Apr 2012 11:38PM GMT 
thoraway 20 Apr 2012 12:43AM GMT 
Servelan 20 Apr 2012 1:00AM GMT 
thoraway 20 Apr 2012 2:16AM GMT 
thoraway 20 Apr 2012 2:35AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions