Search for content in message boards

Soknes Farm in Storen, Sor-Trondelag, Norway

Replies: 11

Re: Soknes Farm in Storen, Sor-Trondelag, Norway

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 2:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you. My application for Sor-Trondelag America is in the mail.
The Sokness’ are not my family. I am researching the family for a friend. She (Sandy) is the great granddaughter of my ‘immigrant’, Ole Iversen Sokness. Ole was the son of Iver Andersen Soknesmoen (1 Nov 1826 - 24 Sep 1898) and Marit Olsdatter Sagmoløkken (14 Jan 1826 - 1898); he was born on 05 Mar 1866 in Soknes Farm. He emigrated to the US about 1886 (would like to find the ship). He lived in Virginia, St Louis Co., Minnesota. He worked as a carpenter. In 1896, he married Augusta Bengtsson from Sweden. He died on 30 Jul 1930 in Virginia, MN; Augusta died on 07 Jul 1942 also in Virginia, MN.
I have been able to go back several generations (see attached), but I would like to get more anecdotal information, more than names, dates and places.

I was familiar with the Norwegian naming practice as far as the ‘sen’ and ‘datter’ goes, but just figured out that the third name was not familial but a location/farm. It seems Sandy’s ancestors came from several places/farms around Storen. There were several place names: Soknes, Soknesrmoen, Engen, Hage, Sagmolokken, Ekle, Moe, Skaarvold, Presthus, Utistu, etc.

I’d like to find out who these people were. What did these farms consist of? Were they farms in the conventional sense or just large tracts of land called farms? Did they own the farms or were they tenants; were they farmers, tradesmen, craftsmen, military, etc. Are there any narratives that would help personalize them? Also, I was hoping to find a period 19th century map showing these various farms.

Any help you could provide, and any sites you could recommend, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheryll

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LindaSchwartz... 11 Oct 2012 2:12AM GMT 
cheryllmclean 11 Oct 2012 8:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic