Search for content in message boards

Oltesvik from Gjestal Municipal south of Stavanger

Replies: 3

Oltesvik from Gjestal Municipal south of Stavanger

Jennifer (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2001 10:22AM GMT
Surnames: Oltesvik, Oltesvig, Handshaw
I am looking for any information regarding R. and S. Oltesvig, 2 sailor brothers, from Stavanger. I have been told that Oltesvig is the old way of spelling Oltesvik and the name is from the Gjestal Municipal south of Stavanger. I have a sailor's chest from my Grandmother with a note inside mentioning a shipwreck in 1887 off the coast of Cape Horn, and the person who wrote the note being rescued by a rigger called the Congkord. They mention a seaman on board from Stavanger named R. Oltesvig who took the sailor's chest. They went from Buenos Aires to Stavanger in 1889. I am trying to find out how this chest came into our family and what the background is of these brothers and the shipwrecked person who wrote this note. I think my Grandmother got this chest from her second husband, Lowell Handshaw. I don't know if he's of Norwegian descent or if maybe his first wife was. I would appreciate any information you may have. Thank you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jennifer 12 Jul 2001 4:22PM GMT 
HaraldStorake... 16 Jul 2001 1:45PM GMT 
Arnstein Egel... 15 Mar 2013 9:37PM GMT 
Oltesvi 25 Mar 2013 4:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions