Search for content in message boards

Lars Hansen m. Eli Jorkelsen (Jorkelsdatter) Opstad, Norway 1837

Replies: 15

Jorkel? and map search

Posted: 18 Jan 2003 10:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
The Jorkel is a mystery that could be explained by bad handwriting, or interpreting the first letter in her land name incorrectly. But something I like to do is look at the census at about the same time and see if it is a name that exists in Norway, and also if it is clustered in certain areas of Norway.
census search online:
http://draug.rhd.isv.uit.no/folketellinger_engelsk_britisk.h...

Also the letter o could be ø

So after searching some possibilities - and the nice thing about that census search page is you only have to put in the first letter or two or three -

I didn't find anyone in all of Norway in 1865 with the first name starting with Jork or Jørk, or any Jorkelsen or other patronymic form starting with Jork or Jørk. So that would lead me to believe the J should be a T. Of course Torkelsen has quite a few spelling variations.
Thorkel Thorkild Torkel Torkil Tørkel, etc.

My guess is that there might have been neighbors or others from the parish that left for NZ and had written back glowing letters about the land and opportunities.

It would be interesting to check the parish records and find out what happened to Christian.

If you live near a Mormon church (LDS) you can order the parish records on microfilm and search them yourself. They often have research assistants at their location.

I found Opstad, Hedmark on my good map - it's on the river running south out of a lake called Størsjøen, just to the NE of Oslo.

Good luck,
Taryn
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LizLarsen58 15 Jan 2003 9:35PM GMT 
PR 16 Jan 2003 1:31AM GMT 
LizLarsen58 16 Jan 2003 4:28AM GMT 
PR 16 Jan 2003 2:00PM GMT 
TarynMN 18 Jan 2003 1:43AM GMT 
LizLarsen58 18 Jan 2003 4:13AM GMT 
TarynMN 18 Jan 2003 5:52PM GMT 
TarynMN 18 Jan 2003 6:04PM GMT 
Jana_s1 21 Feb 2012 3:46AM GMT 
Lizzie_58 21 Feb 2012 6:29AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions