Search for content in message boards

Andersen, Swansen

Replies: 11

Response

Linda Schwartz (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query

Since you don't have any details yet, I suggest you check out this web site for ideas on how to proceed:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/rtips.htm

Look for clues in documents that are listed on that web site (vital records, church, emigration, naturalization, etc.) You need to know more - like where he came from or was born, his "real" name, etc. You'll find that through some sources in U.S. records - it may take some digging, but I'm sure you'll find it rewarding. Exhaust the U.S. sources before trying to find anything in Norway.

As I indicated earlier, I found information on Severt's son's wife and her ancestors. But it's impossible to match up Severt Swanson/Swensen, b. 1866 somewhere in Norway. Keep in mind that his name in Norway probably was not Swansen or Swensen ... and in fact, if his father's name was Ingebright, his name was probably Severt Ingebrightsen from ?? farm. And based on the father's name, his grandfather would have been named Sven (xx-sen) (farmname). The surname they used changed every time they moved to a different farm. If you look over the information I gave you about the Rognes family, you'll see that Anders Andersen Rognes, b. 1822 was originally called Anders Andersen Soknes, because he was born at Soknes. I know that if I look up the Soknes farms, I will probably find more family history about Anders Andersen there. (And I can tell that his father was named Anders too.)

Hope this is of some help.
Linda
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dianneuckerma... 2 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Linda Schwartz, norway webmaster 4 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
dianneuckerma... 4 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Linda Schwartz 4 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
michele9837 27 Jun 2013 9:19PM GMT 
thoraway 27 Jun 2013 10:23PM GMT 
michele9837 14 Jul 2013 8:19PM GMT 
k9logeratol 27 Sep 2007 5:20AM GMT 
dianne_uckerm... 28 Sep 2007 1:08AM GMT 
k9logeratol 28 Sep 2007 4:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions