Search for content in message boards

Peter Christian Schiod Meyer

Replies: 44

Re: Peter Christian Schiold Meyer

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 4:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Meyer, Evensen, Schiold
Thanks Vicky!

You've figured out some things and have unearthed new questions, which I guess is the nature of genealogy research.

Herman was my grandfather and that is his correct birth date. My family knew him as Herman Charles Meyers. Note that he legally added an "s" to the name. I'm thinking he changed his middle name the same time he legally changed his last name, in part, to distance himself from his father.

I think most of the date discrepancies can be explained by the timing of Herman and Antonie's trip to Norway. I thought I'd heard that they went when Herman was 10, but now I'm thinking it makes more sense that he was younger, say late 1893, when he was 6. If they left in Sept, Antonie would have been pregnant with Louie and perhaps didn't know it. Peter must have gotten Bertha pregnant either just before Antonie left for Norway or right after. That's the only way to explain how the births of Antonie's youngest (Louie in 5/94) and Bertha's oldest (Beatrice in 4/94) could be so close. So, it seems my great grandfather had two babies in two different ovens at the same time!

Naming Beatrice a Schiold could have been a way to finesse around an out-of wedlock birth, since Peter and Bertha couldn't get married b/c Peter was already married to Antonie. The way I understood the story, Bertha was Antonie's best friend who was going to take care of her other two children while she was in Norway. No surprise that that marriage ended abruptly upon her return.

We'll see if I ever hear from the author of the original post, but whether I do or not, my next goal is to track down some of the grandchildren of Peter and Bertha, who would likely be my age (59) or a bit older. The Woznicks and Kroskes give me a starting point.

Thanks again for your interest and help.

Sincerely,

Jim Behnke
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
behnkej 10 Feb 2013 2:20AM GMT 
joyhart22 10 Feb 2013 2:31AM GMT 
behnkej 10 Feb 2013 2:34AM GMT 
joyhart22 10 Feb 2013 6:52PM GMT 
behnkej 10 Feb 2013 11:07PM GMT 
Sharon Adams 17 Feb 2013 4:26AM GMT 
joyhart22 17 Feb 2013 2:09PM GMT 
Sharon Adams 17 Feb 2013 5:11PM GMT 
joyhart22 17 Feb 2013 5:21PM GMT