Search for content in message boards

HENRICKS (HENDRIKSON) Peder Myre b. 11/07/1843

Replies: 12

Re: HENRICKS (HENDRIKSON) Peder Myre b. 11/07/1843

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 12:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
sometimes when I start helping someone with genealogy I have no idea where it will lead, but this is one of those times when I have moment that gives me some fun! When I saw online, after a google search using Peder M. Henricks, that he was a legislator for Kittson County, in Minnesota, I decided to look in my over 100 year old book,

Source: “Compendium of History and Biography of Northern Minnesota “
Published 1902 Geo. A. Ogle & Co. Chicago, Illinois.
“Containing Biographical Sketches of Hundreds of Prominent Old Settlers and Representative Citizens of NORTHERN MINNESOTA with a review of their life work, their identity with the growth and development of the region; . . . “

It was exciting to find that there is a biography of the Hon. Peder M. Henricks, and a photographic portrait, in a fine suit. On page 236 begins the biography, the photo is on p. 237, and an additional paragraph of the biography on p. 239.

HON. PEDER M. HENRICKS page 236 -239 including a photographic portrait.
A four hundred and fifty acre farm in Teien township (Kittson County) is owned and operated by the gentleman above named. He resides on section 16, and is one of the influential citizens of Kittson county, having been identified with the public matters of his locality for the past fifteen years or more. He is a representative son of the Scandinavian peninsula, and like those worthy men, has come from the Northland to make settlement in the land of liberty, and has actively participated in the development of the social and commercial life of the great state of Minnesota. To his many friends the portrait of Mr. Henricks, found elsewhere in this volume, will prove a great boon.
Our subject was born in Brono, Nordlands Amt, Tromsostift, Norway, July 11, 1843, and was the eldest in a family of three children born to Henrik and Oline (Olson) Erlandsen. His home was on the northwest coast of the peninsula, and he naturally was raised to farming and fishing, but the dangers of the latter pursuit decided him in settling in America. His decision once made he put it into action, and with all his available means he started with his wife and one child for Minnesota, U.S.A. He arrived in Minneapolis with but twenty-five cents in his pocket, but he readily obtained work in the sawmills and at railroading, and thus kept his family and himself from want, and in the spring of 1870 he went to Ottertail county to secure free land. He began the improvement of his farm there and remained on the same until 1883, when he disposed of his interests and went to Kittson county, having a knowledge of the resources of that locality from a visit paid to that region in 1880. He drove overland with his stock in the spring, and the following fall his family joined him in the new home. He purchased land with his cash realized from the sale of his place in Ottertail county, and at once became one of the leading farmers of southwestern Kittson county. He made substantial improvements on the farm, including a complete set of good buildings and prospered in his calling there. The floods of the Red River in 1897 destroyed all of his buildings and large quantities of his grain, and the loss was a severe one to our subject, but with his characteristic persistence he has recovered in large measure form the loss, and in recent seasons has gained a good income from the place, and again enjoys prosperity.
Mr. Henricks was married in 1865 to Miss Enger Johansen. Mr. and Mrs. Henricks are the parents of three children, who are named as follows: Paul, Amelia and Henry. Early in the movements for reform in Minnesota, our subject became a member of the Farmer’s Alliance, and at the formation of the Populist party, he became a staunch member and has been identified with the movements of that party since that time. He is a close student of current affairs, and lends his influence for the upbuilding of his township, county, and state, and his adopted country. He was elected a member of the House of Representatives in Minnesota in 1894, and served one term, gaining the confidence of the people for whom he labored. He introduced House Bill No. 414, referring to the redemption of mortgages, and was a supporter of many measures that are now important laws. He served as a member of the following committees: Municipal Legislation, State Prisons, and Enrollment and Engrossment. Mr. Henricks is prominent in county affairs, and from 1890-1894 served as county commissioner. He is a consistent member of the Norwegian Lutheran Church. In 1901 he was again elected to the lower house by a fusion of the Democratic and Populist tickets. He was a member of four important committees.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cmhb45 23 Jun 2008 10:13PM GMT 
thoraway 24 Jun 2008 1:45PM GMT 
TarynMN 24 Jun 2008 1:58PM GMT 
TarynMN 24 Jun 2008 3:00PM GMT 
TarynMN 24 Jun 2008 3:16PM GMT 
TarynMN 24 Jun 2008 5:46PM GMT 
TarynMN 24 Jun 2008 6:14PM GMT 
cmhb45 27 Jun 2008 4:54AM GMT 
TarynMN 27 Jun 2008 8:27PM GMT 
TarynMN 26 Jun 2008 1:57AM GMT 
per page