Search for content in message boards

Looking for one Boye Skeie - Valdres, Norway

Replies: 25

Re: Boye Skeie - Vang, Valdres, Oppland County, Norway to Minnesota

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 3:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Oct 2012 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: Skeie, Kattevold, Leine,

Happy tears are sweet tears!! :) Glad I could help with some of your puzzles.

No, I'm not related. But 2 sets of my maternal gg grandparents came from Vang (a rural, farming community located about half-way between Oslo and Bergen).

Today, so much genealogical information is available on the Internet. Especially with (censuses, etc., but not all records are accurate; family trees posted there usually contain errors! UGH!). The free records provided by the Norway Digital Archives are awesome!! For example, here is your grandfather's original birth/baptism record:
Source: Oppland fylke, Vang i Vang, Klokkerbok nr. 6 (1893-1918), Fødte og døpte 1896, side 11.
Translation: Bøie Bøieson, born December 11, 1895, baptized February 16, 1896. Son of lærer (teacher) Bøie Bøieson and hustru (wife) Ingebørg Helgesdatter. Parents living at Kattevold (farm). Witnesses were Bøie T. Kattevold (his grandfather), Ole Olson Ellingbø, married woman Valbørg Sørli (Ole Ellingbø's wife?), Maren Helgesdatter Leine and Maren Trondsdatter Kattevold.

I have the 3 volumes of the Vang in Valdres bygdebøker (farm/family history), published in Norway around 1985, I believe. That's where I found your grandfather, his parents and his many siblings.

I'm sort of a Norwegian genealogy nut - LOL! - and I enjoy helping others find their Norske "roots," especially when it's from an area in Norway that I'm familiar with. (I've been to Vang twice in the past 11 years.)

If you are on Facebook, I suggest you join the Valdres Samband group. (Just do a search of Valdres Samband ~ oldest bygdelag in America.) Lots of people will help you to continue to connect to your Vang ancestors; and most likely, living relatives in Norway!!

There's a picture of your grandfather and his family in the bygdebok when he was just a little tyke! I can scan it and send it to you.

If you want more ancestral info (your great-grandparents, gg grandparents, etc.), it's probably best to share those details through e-mail. You can contact me at:

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
HaraldStorake... 9 Mar 2009 10:33PM GMT 
anett72 10 Mar 2009 7:14AM GMT 
anett72 10 Mar 2009 7:11AM GMT 
spmaxson 24 Oct 2012 11:02PM GMT 
anett72 25 Oct 2012 5:47AM GMT 
spmaxson 25 Oct 2012 1:31PM GMT 
joyhart22 26 Oct 2012 4:16PM GMT 
spmaxson 26 Oct 2012 6:40PM GMT 
joyhart22 26 Oct 2012 9:00PM GMT 
Btskeie 10 Apr 2013 10:02PM GMT 
per page