Search for content in message boards

henry k wilson b.1876 Norway, wife Christiana

Replies: 13

Re: henry k wilson b.1876 Norway, wife Christiana

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 3:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
I don't read or speak Norwegian, but with the help of the dictionary and other info on the site that thoraway provided you and also the word list and information from familysearch here:
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Norway_Word_List
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Norway
you can learn to decipher basic information, names and dates from the church records. The records I found are focused in the parishes of Skien and Solum in Telemark. You can search those names in Wikipedia to get basic local history.
These records are digital images of the original church records and so will not translate - that only works for the website itself. Many of the records are indexed and searchable at familysearch.org and that is my usual strategy, to find likely records there then go to the books and find the entry, but I didn't get results with these. I'm not sure if they are not indexed yet, or if I was using the wrong names as it seems that they were in transition from using traditional naming to a last name as we know it around the time that Edward and Stina's children were born. I will try in the next couple of days to add a brief translation to some of the entries so you can figure out how to get what info you need from them. Most of my research has been in Hordaland and Rogaland - it's interesting to research in a new place and I always learn something I can apply to my own.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ffkostelec 27 Apr 2012 12:01AM GMT 
jmbols 27 Apr 2012 1:02AM GMT 
ffkostelec 27 Apr 2012 9:31PM GMT 
ffkostelec 27 Apr 2012 10:45PM GMT 
jmbols 28 Apr 2012 2:42PM GMT 
jmbols 27 Apr 2012 4:46AM GMT 
ffkostelec 27 Apr 2012 9:20PM GMT 
thoraway 28 Apr 2012 1:54AM GMT 
jmbols 28 Apr 2012 9:30PM GMT 
jmbols 27 Apr 2012 3:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions