Search for content in message boards

Another translation needed

Replies: 6

Re: Another translation needed

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 11:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Løding
The passage translates roughly :" --at probate in 1857 -- 1858 (name) is called Jacob peasant in Hansbakkan (local road name).
In 1865 Anne lived with the brother Ole at Løding where she did the housekeeping for him (he was a widower). With her was also her daughter Nille and (her) son Andreas. The tenant & widow* Anne Christophersdaughter Løding died in April 1869; her age then given as 56 years." ---

* "Inderst-enke" has no exact equivalent in English that I know about, and my version can probably be improved, but the term "inderst" has had slightly different connotations from time to time and in different areas. -I shall abstain from harping about some finer points of Norwegian orthography in the given text although I am itching...
----
As the text contains no other indication about where the probate has been held, I have
only the name Løding to go by. There is a community (parish) called Lødingen on the south side of Norway's largest island Hinnøy, facing Vestfjorden in Nordland. -I checked the church records for Lødingen for Anne's birth and death with no luck, so she and her brother may come from a smaller place -- perhaps only a small farm with that name, but likely in the Ofoten / Vestfjorden area. --- Google transsomething may be entertaining, but asking a native may yield more reliable results... -I hope that this helps to give your story a head (or tail).
SOH
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jcfl58 26 Nov 2012 3:33PM GMT 
thoraway 26 Nov 2012 4:26PM GMT 
jcfl58 27 Nov 2012 5:43PM GMT 
thoraway 27 Nov 2012 7:09PM GMT 
jcfl58 5 Dec 2012 12:35AM GMT 
sohaugen 7 Dec 2012 6:51PM GMT 
jcfl58 30 Dec 2012 12:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions