Search for content in message boards

Help reading names on a marriage record

Replies: 10

Re: Help reading names on a marriage record

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 9:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'd like to talk about how you can use the Norwegian census databases to help you find farms and locations in exactly such records as you've presented here.

I'm going to open a second window consisting of the database selector at the Digitalarkivet website and try to talk you through some steps you could use... or that I would try first.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebMeta.exe?spraak=n

I'll click on 1865 on the blue banner because that would be the census taken closest to the marriage event in Vågå, Oppland in 1849. Then choose 'Fylke' to be Oppland. The database selector presents a list of the all the district in Oppland that were included in the 1865 enumeration. Vågå is spelled as Vaage and following that is Nordre Fron and Søndre Fron -- interesting but come back to that later.

I'm choosing Vaage to burrow down into and learn more. I don't know names of parishes that were within Vaage but the database can tell me that. I'd like to see a list of all the farms in Vaage that began with the spelling "SL" so in the search option labelled "Nytt gardsøk" I'm choosing 'Gard' (farm) in box A, 'børjar på vis' in box B (starting with show) and entering 'Sl' in Box C, then clicking on 'Søk' (Search). One of the results is "Slette" which would be the main farm that Sletteeie would be attached to. The suffix 'eie' always indicates a smaller subfarm owned by the main farm and a place which is a cotter's place. If I choose 'Slette' by clicking in the box in front of the name and then clicking on 'Søk' again the info expands to show me that all of these Slette farms are actually in Hedalen sokn (parish) in Vågå.

So two of the place names listed in the marriage record for the bride and her father are explained and located in Hedalen parish of Vågå.

The groom is not quite that easy. He appears to be from 'Froen' or 'Troen' -- a farm starting with 'Bu' with lots of vowels. Fron is the most likely nearby district - just spelled with a slight variation.

So back to ALL the districts listed for Oppland in the 1865. I'll choose Nordre Fron this time and do the 'Gard' seek again but this time using the starting with letters 'Bu'. Ah ha -- Buøien -- an excellent match to that challenging handwriting.

Play with those search options... they come in very very handy.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.htm...

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
red0bike 2 Dec 2012 1:17AM GMT 
Brian Gaber 2 Dec 2012 6:45AM GMT 
Brian Gaber 2 Dec 2012 6:57AM GMT 
Brian Gaber 2 Dec 2012 7:10AM GMT 
red0bike 2 Dec 2012 8:55AM GMT 
Brian Gaber 2 Dec 2012 10:24AM GMT 
thoraway 2 Dec 2012 4:49PM GMT 
red0bike 3 Dec 2012 3:45AM GMT 
thoraway 3 Dec 2012 4:41PM GMT 
thoraway 3 Dec 2012 5:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions