Search for content in message boards

Families from Hardanger, help with more information?

Replies: 10

Re: Families from Hardanger, help with more information?

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 2:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Feb 2013 2:28PM GMT
Bygdebøker and Ættarbøker can be helpful but are definitely secondary sources of information. Using them you can often construct a quick outline of a family pedigree but must be aware that they might not be completely accurate. I like to use them if available and then take my time to work with the primary source records to verify, expand and/or correct details.
For Odda, Ullensvang and Kinsarvik there are two main published book resources.
The ættarboks (Norwegian genealogies) for Øyfjord, Ulvik, Kinsarvik, Odda, Udlesvang were compiled by A.K. Bu beginning in the 1930s. They are organized by farm name and are almost simplistic 'spreadsheet' format listings of each family group that resided there. Little or narrative is included. Spelling style is said to be in the dialect of the Hardanger region. All five of those books are available copied to LDS microfilms 1259725 and 1259728. (I'll call these the Bu books.)
The 8 volumes of the "Odda, Ullensvang og Kinsarvik i gamal og ny tid" by Olav Kolltveit were published in the 1960s and 1970s. They contain a great deal of history for each parish, church history, etc. and therefore they are heavy with Norwegian narrative. The first two volumes of the set are more general history (volumes 1 and 2). The second two volumes (3:1 and 3:2) cover Odda history and then history for each of the area's farms including some genealogy information for almost every family who lived on that farm. The volumes 4:1 and 4:2 cover Ullensvang and its farms. Volumes 5:1 and 5:2 cover Kinsarvik and its farms. LDS Family History Library catalog shows that those books are copied to microfilm 1124552 Items 2-9. (I'll call these the OUK books.)
I've used both of those sources myself and can state that they are impressive pieces of work but not completely without mistakes. I have started keeping notes or copies of all table of contents of such books that I've used in my family history research and I can tell you the volumes and at least approximate page number you'll want for each farm we've already mentioned in your Norwegian family hunt.
Seljestad -
Bu book for Odda page 148
OUK vol 3:1 page 273

Bru
Bu book for Odda page 17
OUK vol 3:1 page 291

Sandven/Sandvin/Sandvæ
Bu book for Odda page 138?
OUK vol 3:2 page 9

Jordal
Bu book for Odda page 83
OUK vol 3:2 page 64

Before you get into these Norwegian books you may want to furnish yourself with a good Norwegian-English dictionary. Being published in Norway, by Norwegians and for other Norwegians they are NOT in English. The genealogy sections of each are fairly easy to use since names are still names and dates are still dates no matter the language of the writer. Abbreviations can be a bit tricky at first but I recall seeing each author including a legend for the abbreviations used (page?? don't recall).

The OUK books sometimes include paragraphs of narrative about a person or family in the farm history sections also and for my own ancestors I have saved these and I work at translating those little by little as I find time. I'm not necessarily quick at translating but I don't give up easily when it comes to my family history.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
thoraway 11 Feb 2013 9:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions