Search for content in message boards

Missing deaths, possibly died in quarantine in Ontario?

Replies: 12

Re: Missing deaths, possibly died in quarantine in Ontario?

Posted: 6 Oct 2013 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gunderson, Skjeggestad
Thank you. Yes, this is my 2nd great grandmother, Marthine. We know where John (her biological father) is, but not where her biological mother (Lise) is. According to the obituary, Lise died when she was 5 years old so abt 1875. According to mom, she remembers that Marthine was sent to LaCrosse, WI to live with Skogstads (perhaps for a short time), then moved back to SD where John's sister, Ingeborg, raised her. Mom doesn't think the ones in Lone Rock are the ones that took her, but working from memory. We went through the line with the caretaker for Lone Rock (she actually knew these people) and we did not find anything there. We went through everyone there and Lise and her mother, Kari, are not there.

I don't get the impression that John was marriage material given that he appeared to have 3 children with two different women and left Norway for US. I find no evidence that she went to the same area that he lived. Only after her death when Marthine was sent to him and raised by his sister. The last that I can find any trace of them is Grosse Isle as you indicated, and Police Emigrant Protocol and Passenger List. And I agree that they don't provide a way to see those. I mean that the last record found is Quebec Grosse Isle. I find no sibs with the same mother. And the others didn't come here (USA) to my knowledge.

I never saw that record of the woman that died at sea, but that's what i suspect...something like that. But I can't prove it. I don't think this is ours...but will keep an eye on that one.

Another thought is that they changed their names, but no clue where they are.

Nice maps! Thanks!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
falsterden 6 Oct 2013 3:55PM GMT 
sandra brugge... 6 Oct 2013 6:46AM GMT 
sandra brugge... 6 Oct 2013 7:05AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions