Search for content in message boards

Myklebost / Bjerkeset

Replies: 41

Re: Myklebost / Bjerkeset

Posted: 16 Aug 2014 3:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Aug 2014 5:21PM GMT
Hei WB, interesting. I can't study this now but maybe someone else...or I will return. Quick question: have you found marriage record for Ole Olsen Bjerkeset b ca 1818 to Berit Pedersdatter? If so please post. If not we will seek it. That should name father of bride and groom. Other clues: look at faddernes ( godparents) in baptismal records for Ole and Berit children. Grandparents, aunts, and uncles of a child often serve as godparents.

Another record to find is a child's confirmation record, about age 14.

Not sure how you came up with Ole Knutsen as a candidate father? What record tells this name? I am rushing; maybe you said the source and rationale. Bear in mind other people have the same name, who are not your Ole Olsen Bjerkeset b ca 1818.

I will look later at Guri. Where does Thorsen come from - what is your rationale for that? I like the census you posted for her; it could be her. Is her marriage record posted in this thread? Can we show evidence that's the right Guri?

Place names such as Thingvoll seem to be added to people's names in your summary. Do I read that right? Where are these found - what is the rationale? Usually Norwegian address name is a farm, not the parish in which the farm is found.

I guess my broad, general advice is avoid assertions that suggest we "take it on faith" (e.g., Guri name is Baardsdatter Thoresen, which is different from the record I posted) and instead state the source for each new fact.

This is a change from working solo - when you know your own sources. Takes a little getting used to - this message board thibg, lol.

About speed, I hear you. It takes practice to use the databases and understand them, and we get better over time, but it has been a long learning curve for me too! You certainly seem to have a handle on it.

Back in an edit to say I will return. ; )
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
peder27 8 May 2014 6:54AM GMT 
WBerkseth 16 Aug 2014 1:10PM GMT 
falsterden 16 Aug 2014 5:38PM GMT 
falsterden 16 Aug 2014 5:50PM GMT 
WBerkseth 16 Aug 2014 7:25PM GMT 
falsterden 16 Aug 2014 9:35PM GMT 
WBerkseth 17 Aug 2014 3:23AM GMT 
falsterden 18 Aug 2014 6:30PM GMT 
falsterden 19 Aug 2014 8:43PM GMT 
WBerkseth 20 Aug 2014 12:18AM GMT 
per page