After posting the following message to THIS message board;
Localities > Scandinavian and Baltic States > Norway > General

-----------------------
OFTEDAL, OFTEDAHL from Germany
lchunnme (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2014 10:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: OFTEDAL, OFTEDAHL
Is anyone out there related to Oftedal, Oftedahl, or other variant spelling from Germany, but who was in the United States in the period 1884-1885?
Thank you.
-------------------------------

My short response and linked advice was an attempt to point out that this is not a message board for Germany. I have seen the name Oftedal/Oftedahl in Norwegian records. So I was sent the charming message below by 'lchunnme' --
7/16/2014 8:29 PM

The Message Board to which I post last night and that your message refers to was for SURNAME OFTEDAHL and OFTEDAL. It was NOT a Norwegian board!!! Perhaps my posting automatically showed up on your board.

Given that I don't have to explain my actions to you or anyone else, and given that you do not even deserve a response, I will say this: I have a PhD and have been researching my ancestors for over 40 years. I have already posted two specific messages looking for this mystery man, my great-grandfather to which I've had no reply. We do not even know his first name. I have waited several years to re-post, and this time I chose to do it in a very general manner to see what responses I might get, if any. How I post is MY business and not yours!!! Unlike you, most people are very helpful in responding to any and all messages with courtesy. To you I say the following: Mind your own business, make a concerted effort to be courteous, and do not let your sanctimonious attitude allow you to assume that you know more about the poster and posting that the contributor does.

Thank you for being absolutely no help at all.

Sincerely yours,

lchunnme
lchunnme 16 Jul 2014 4:18AM GMT 
thoraway 16 Jul 2014 9:57PM GMT 
thoraway 17 Jul 2014 5:12PM GMT 
falsterden 17 Jul 2014 5:55PM GMT 
jabenson43 17 Jul 2014 8:06PM GMT 
falsterden 17 Jul 2014 11:04PM GMT 
thoraway 18 Jul 2014 1:19AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic