Search for content in message boards

Looking for Ole Aukland

Replies: 15

Aukland emigrants

Ann M. Morris (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2002 3:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Aukland, Nodland (Naadland), Bottelson (Bottolfson)
Hello, Bjarne!

I was fascinated by your reply to Rebecca on the Ancestry Message Board: Looking for Ole Aukland. I was especially interested in the fact that you are researching Auklands who emigrated to the US.

I tried to e-mail you directly, but the message I sent to the e-mail address on the message board came back "undeliverable".

You may want to read my posted reply to Rebecca, regarding Ole Aukland. After that, here is enough information to boggle anyone's mind. If it sounds familiar to anyone, I would love to hear from other family history searchers.

Bjarne, we may have some information to exchange...the Nodlands (Naadlands) in my family farmed on Ombo and traveled back and forth between the US and Norway several times. My father's maternal grandmother was Mallin (Mallene) Gudmundsdatter Aukland, married to Henry Toreson Halsnoy Naadland Nodland (so many spelling variations!! makes it hard to identify the right relatives) I don't know much about Mallin's background. Only that her father was a Gudmund.

However, my father's paternal grandfather, Henry Toreson Halsnoy Naadland Nodland's parents were Thomas, Thore Haldor Johnson Naadland Nodland and Bertha Jonsdatter Hauske Huskein Atletveit. Bertha was born on the Hauske farm, Hjelmeland Kommune, Rogaland Co., Norway.

Now it gets interesting. One of my great-grandfather's sisters was Bertha Sophia Hauske Johnson Naadland Nodland, who married the Ole Aukland we first identified!!

I am very fortunate because the Nodlands have kept extensive geneological records, recording ancestors back to the 1700's. I have computer software, "Family Tree Maker" that helps me put names in perspective. I am constantly searching for more information about ancestors...I'm not trying to find a link to St. Olaf or Leif Eriksson (Ericsson?)...I'm searching for the true treasure...my family.

If anything that I have told you makes sense, it would be wonderful to compare information!

(My father's surname, Bottelson, has variations, too. His father's ancestors came from Balestrand and eventually settled mostly in Faribault Co., Minnesota. In three different census records, I saw the family name listed as Bottelson, Bale, and Bottolfson. Who knows which direction to pursue? My grandfather left Dad's mother, so we know much less about that family. I do know that his father's name was Ole Bottelson (Bottolfson), and his mother was Martha Thompson. I also know that Ole originated in Tjugun, Norway (near Balestrand)...farm named Gro-neng...but after that, I'm pretty well stumped.

I know we have Aukland relatives still in the Stavenger area...I would love to know more about any family still there. I've never been to Norway, and, shamefully, I do not speak Norwegian, but I do plan to visit...someday...

Thank you for your wonderful input. I have saved it. It may help link some relatives somewhere, but if not, I have enjoyed your enthusiasm and interest in family history.

Sincerely,
Ann (Bottelson) Morris
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Rebecca 17 Aug 2001 6:28AM GMT 
PR 17 Aug 2001 11:26AM GMT 
TarynMN 17 Aug 2001 4:26PM GMT 
HaraldStorake... 17 Aug 2001 11:10PM GMT 
Bjarne Jørmeland 29 Sep 2001 11:15PM GMT 
Ann M. Morris 29 Sep 2002 9:22PM GMT 
sandymcclay 8 Mar 2013 7:52AM GMT 
morr4229 23 Sep 2002 2:27AM GMT 
Rebecca 6 Nov 2002 5:15AM GMT